Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 barrel flutes

Trying to follow the reasoning behind wanting flutes in a Single Stack.  What benefit are you expecting?  Just for cosmetic purposes doesn't seem like a good reason.  As you would be the only one that would see it.  Help me out.

1 hour ago, donnyglock said:

I don't need to help you out. I just asked if it was legal. 

You're right.  You don't need to help me out.  However, it is funny how you expect people to help you out, but are unwilling to possibly help someone else out.  Says a lot about you.

If you're looking to cut weight on a 9mm or something, I think you'd be better served looking else wear. 

I can't imagine flutes being worth the cost.  Obviously there's no cosmetic value since the slide can't be cut through.  I would also worry about the wear on the bushing and how it would effect accuracy. 

I wrote the post, and know what I was asking (no dickish intended).  You took it as dickish.  Tone of the comment is hard to get through in text.  For that I apologize.

The reason I came back to comment was, I thought of a reason for the fluting.  Weight savings.

7 minutes ago, JackinSD said:

I wrote the post, and know what I was asking (no dickish intended).  You took it as dickish.  Tone of the comment is hard to get through in text.  For that I apologize.

The reason I came back to comment was, I thought of a reason for the fluting.  Weight savings.

Yeah, but I would rather take that weight out of the slide.  Keep the barrel and the frame "weighted" or however is best to describe it. 

5 minutes ago, rugerp89ipsc said:

Yeah, but I would rather take that weight out of the slide.  Keep the barrel and the frame "weighted" or however is best to describe it. 

I agree completely.

24 minutes ago, StealthyBlagga said:

On the rare occasion I have seen a fluted 1911 barrel, it has been a BULL barrel. Bull barrels are not legal for Single Stack, fluted or not.

They are legal if they are 4.2" or less in length

2 minutes ago, js1130146 said:

They are legal if they are 4.2" or less in length

True - should have clarified. I can't recall ever seeing a <4.2" bull barrel being used in Single Stack, but I guess it could happen (the world is full of strange people).

Edited by StealthyBlagga

My limited gun has a fluted bull barrel, but its also a long slide with 6 inch barrel, so the material removed does help to keep it balanced in the hand and not super front heavy.

For the purposes of single stack I don't think it would be a great idea to have a fluted bushing barrel as others have suggested. Then if you are running a 4.2 inch bull barrel, the weight savings likely won't net you anything. Since slide cuts aren't allowed in single stack its mostly a cosmetic touch that no one will see for the most part. If you do the work yourself i suppose it won't cost anything (if done correctly of course) but seems like an unnecessary expenditure if you plan on having a smith do it. 

As always, you're entitled to do what you like, but you shouldn't expect to see any appreciable difference in how your gun handles as a result.