Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 converted to shadow legal in SSP?

orthikon

Hi,

I searched and coulndt find a soecific post to answer my question.

CA resident here so I cant get the shadow without paying for inflated prices.

I was wondering the I convert my SP-01 to Shadow specs if it would be legal in SS

I think I read something about changing the sighta would not make it legal as it involved some machining so other than that would it be?

I might be abke to get an upper from a Shadow.

Thanks.

51 minutes ago, orthikon said:

Even though the parts are from an SSP legal gun?

I thought was ok. Similar to other glocks using the extended slide relase.of the 34/35

You can interchange parts form one SSP legal gun to another SSP legal gun. 

The SP-01 may not have the same rear sight cut as the shadow. So if you have to mill the slide, then that'll bump you into ESP. 

So, as long as you didn't have to modify the frame/slide and the parts are stock on another SSP legal gun,  you're gonna be good go. 

1 hour ago, orthikon said:

I plan to swap a whole Shadow Upper. And do some trigger work.

Is that legal?

Yes. Just looked. 

E. Frames may be replaced with identical frames from the same manufacturer.

Edited by B_RAD

2 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

Sounds to me like he is proposing to replace the slide on an existing frame. 

Not allowed in SSP. 

No......he's talking about replacing the frame.  An identical frame from.the manufacturer.  That's allowed. 

Understand?

12 minutes ago, orthikon said:

I will be using the SP-01 frame with a modified trigger and a Shadow upper.

Both pistols are legal in SSP

If for some reason someone questions you, because sometimes the rules are stupid, just say you replaced the frame per the rules. 

don't forget the small parts to get rid of the firing pin block lifter in your regular sp01 lower assembly before putting the shadow slide on.

spending the $500 for a complete shadow upper from czc is the easiest way to get a non fpb gun in CA

8 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

Hard to be convincing with that lie when you live in California.

If you want to shuffle parts, just shoot ESP. Not like there is a lot of difference in scores any 

How's it a lie?  If he has an upper and no frame for it, then he needs to replace the frame. He has a SSP legal frame. Rules say he can replace the frame.  Kinda surprised we're still talking about this. 

Edited by B_RAD

1.  He is in California and does not have the choice in guns (and frames) that we do.

2.  He has already said that he would be putting a different slide on his existing California roster frame, and you were the one who recommended he SAY he had changed the frame, not the slide because "sometimes the rules are just stupid."

So what do you call doing one thing and saying you did another? 

I'm not trying to argue or start any arguments. 

I don't see how its any differnt. If he buys a Shadow upper. He needs to replace the frame for that gun. If he has a sp-01, why can't he take that frame off and use it to replace the frame for the shadow upper?  

I said what I said because you were saying 6 and I was saying half a dozen but you think 6 is not legal and I think half a dozen is, and if somehow that was the case, then that would be a stupid rule!

Now, if the club he shoots at says he can't shoot a Shadow because it's not on the approved list then that's a club issue. The rules for the game says he can replace the frame. So, again, if he has a Shadow upper with no frame, then he'd need to replace the frame, since he doesn't have the original frame to that gun. If he has another gun that has a frame that will work, and is SSP legal, then he can replace the shadows frame with the SP-01 frame and have a SSP legal gun. 

How and why he got each individual part makes no difference. 

Is it a way around the state laws? ... yes. 

Is it legal per the rules book?..... yes. To me at least. 

Edited by B_RAD

Attend the largest CA idpa match, The Western. Spend days looking at every CZ that goes through the match and tell me how many have matching serial numbers on frame, barrel and slide.

• 5 weeks later...

I've got the answer to this question!  The regular SP-01 has a firing pin block (Ref. #1 - scroll down to bottom in specifications), and the Shadow upper does not have a firing pin block (Ref. #2). 

According to CZ Customs, you MUST remove the firing pin block actuating mechanism in order to use a Shadow upper ( listed in description in Ref. #2). 

According to IDPA rule # 8.1.8 E, "Disconnecting or disabling of any safety device including (but not limited to): manual safeties, grip safeties, firing pin, striker, and hammer blocking safeties, 1911 series 80 firing pin safeties, 1911 Swartz safeties....." and so on. 

Therefore, it would NOT be legal to use a regular SP-01 frame with a Shadow upper, because you would have to remove the firing pin block in order to do so. 

Sorry, OP! 

Ref. #1

Ref. #2

Edited by Ken6PPC