Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building STI Spartan 5 9mm to Race Gun

Orbit

Friends,

Once again, I am seeking advice from all of you. I am getting older and that means my eyes sight are getting weak looking to an open sight. I am planning to build a race gun but this one is different. I have a STI Spartan 5 9mm, untouch and would like to convert it to a race gun by doing the following:

1. Install a cone compensator (from brownells) on its original barrel

2. Install a cmore sts2 red dot in a cmore mount that will be drilled on the left side of the frame

3. Install a thumb rest and a racker

A gunsmith will be doing the installation for $200.

Friends, do you think this is doable and worth the time and money? Or i will just need to buy the steelmaster or matchmaster? Its very expensive not to mention the costs of the mags.

With my plan, i will spend only more or less $2T canadian dollars. I have lots of single stack 9mm 10 rds mags.

Please help me out and suggest where i can buy these things here in Canada.

Thank you.

I'd also add a huge  Magwell of some type to the list.

I don't know much about Canadian Law but with that rig you will be limited to 10 round mags, so if you ever intend to shoot where the capacity limits are higher you will be at a disadvantage against a double stack high capacity open gun.  As for the cone comp, I like them and besides Brownells places like EGW sell them.  Dawson's also had a nice one, not sure if they still sell it.  It is also possible to use a  conversion cone from EGW and use a comp for a bull barrel on your skinny barrel.  

Good Luck!

Wouldn't this build put you into open? and would you be at a huge disadvantage being in minor and having a low round count? Or is there a single stack open division i don't know about?

• 3 weeks later...

I say do it. Your goal if I am paying attention is to still enjoy shooting and uspsa but your eyes are failing you.

While you won't compete at a high level with the round count, you won't have a ton of money wrapped up in a build.

This type of gun would also work extremely well in Steel Challenge.  The stationary shooting position, high contrast of targets, and 5 strings of 5 shots negates the bigger mag issue.

Shoot it in both.