Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have experience with angled 2x4 target hangers

RickT

I've been using conventional carriage bolt/spring 2x4 hangers for a scaled-down SC match.  Max. target distance is 15 yards with minimum 8 yards.  There is a good deal of splatter that makes its way into adjacent bays and I'd like to cut down on that.  The SASS shooters who use this same range use angled targets exclusively and their splatter is minimal.

There are a couple of folks making AR500 angled mounts.  Anyone have experience good or bad with this type of hanger?  Of course it will be a compromise on the look of the setup, but only my wife and myself actually shoot steel challenge so no one else will care.

Since your plates are already cut for carriage bolts, cut a small piece of 1 1/2 angle iron and drill a hole in the center of each side of the angle iron. Bolt one side to the AR plate, and rest the other on the top cap (you might have to modify your top cap with a nub to hold the angle iron bracket). Gravity will slightly angle your AR plate and also allow it move upon impact. Note that you don't need alot of 'angle' to your AR plates, 10 to 15 degrees is more than enough. I use angle iron on my Hardoc plates, but with rebar type stands, and have zero splatter issues.