Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P40 breach wear

Jayce

I've been shooting my M&P40 in Limited for about 2 years and about reaching 10K rounds. It's been a mix of factory .40 and major power factor reloads.

I noticed something new while cleaning it. It looks like the barrel really wore down a piece of the breech face where the side of the barrel hood meets the breech? I've attached pics and didn't notice anything as far as function and accuracy. I'm not sure is this wear is normal. There were no shavings or metal dust that I noticed when I wiped down my gun. Is this type of wearing normal?

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

OK ... mine has only 3K rounds ... Took me a moment to figure out what we were really looking at. 

Anyhow ... sure enough ... mine has a similar mark but I slid the barrel out ... been sliding it back and forth and I can't really see how it is doing this. 

The mark is shiny though ... Wow ... I guess I need to clean it while it is apart ... sigh ...

590792598d605_mp40AA(2).jpg.2fc83e019b708b726dbeaac5bf8a5ca9.jpg

1 hour ago, pete627 said:

OK ... mine has only 3K rounds ... Took me a moment to figure out what we were really looking at. 

Anyhow ... sure enough ... mine has a similar mark but I slid the barrel out ... been sliding it back and forth and I can't really see how it is doing this. 

The mark is shiny though ... Wow ... I guess I need to clean it while it is apart ... sigh ...

590792598d605_mp40AA(2).jpg.2fc83e019b708b726dbeaac5bf8a5ca9.jpg

HAHAHA. I'm like you, I don't clean often. Mostly it's just application of oil to the ramp, hood, and rails. I don't wipe down unless I'm not touching the gun for more than a week. Hence probably why I didn't notice it before either.

But I communicated with a rep at S&W over their Live-chat and contact system. Communicating with S&W is much more efficient and was able to look at it. He said it's nothing to be concerned about.