Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed trigger technique?

I recently switched from a FAL with a 6-7lb surplus trigger to an AR-10 with a 4lb Timney.  One of the drills I'm using to try and improve my speed is a modified V-Drill.  But when watching the video and especially the slow motion playback I was really surprised to see how far and how often my trigger finger was coming off the trigger.  I'm thinking this is a hold-over from almost two decades of shooting long heavy 2-stage military triggers, is wasted motion, and something I should be trying to overcome.

Or is this the "slapping the trigger" I hear everyone talking about, and it's OK and expected at higher speeds?  All of my trigger control lessons came from Highpower Rifle competition, so I've never really learned the correct techniques for pulling a trigger quickly.  Can anyone put me on the right path before I waste a bunch of time going the wrong direction?

And yes, this is a very small part of my training as the gains to be made are relatively small.  Most of my rifle live fire I spend trying to do better at going one for one on long range from various positions (especially those evil skinny sammies!) - that's really what eats my lunch at most matches.

• 4 months later...

The finger coming off isn't much of a problem. Riding the reset can result in "trigger freeze" where you don't let it all the way to the reset point. Quick test, take a click pen and see which is faster; slapping or minimum finger movement.

Literally every time I think about what my trigger finger is doing or try to practice speed I get trigger freeze or slow splits. I'm not sure why but when I'm hauling balls at a match I magically get .11-.14 splits, and thats with a pretty average trigger (CMC 3.5lb). When I go home and consciously try to replicate it I can't do it.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, JesseTischauser said:

Some guys have a fast trigger finger some guys don't.  I haven't found a training technique to get my splits consistently below .15.  

Fortunately for me Splits don't win 3-gun matches.

Unfortunately for me splits do get the ladies.

Thanks Jesse -

I agree it's almost pointless to worry about this, especially with a .308.  Mostly I'm trying to be sure I'm not missing some major thing/issue by realizing my finger comes off the trigger between shots sometimes.  It seems "wrong" to me, but it's probably not worth much training time.

13 hours ago, Matt in TN said:

Thanks Jesse -

I agree it's almost pointless to worry about this, especially with a .308.  Mostly I'm trying to be sure I'm not missing some major thing/issue by realizing my finger comes off the trigger between shots sometimes.  It seems "wrong" to me, but it's probably not worth much training time.

When shooting for accuracy shooting I pin the trigger after the shot breaks. Releasing it only after the Sights settle and I'm lining up the next shot.

For utmost speed I trying move my finger as little as possible.

For the average speed shots in 3-gun/USPSA with .20-.30 splits it really doesn't matter if your finger leaves the trigger completely as the sights are still moving by the time you're back on it ready to break another shot.