Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A5 Carrier Latch Spring

alma

Are there any sources for an overpowered carrier latch spring that I could use in my A5? For some reason mine started developing an issue and I am going to try replacing this as a step to remediate.

33 minutes ago, GunCat said:

Is the issue the shell not moving enough to allow a shell out of the tube when you load and make ready?

Perhaps it's the shell moving too much, but to the side. A couple of years ago I got greedy when doing my port mod and I removed too much material around the side of where the rim of the shell rests on the shell stop. When there is more tension on the mag tube spring I think the slight side to side movement of the shell in the tube steals some energy and energy preventing the latch from releasing unless I give the gun a good whack on the side. It used to be a only be an issue when I had to completely full tube (12 rounds), but the last time I had it at a match it wasn't releasing the shells even when the tube wasn't that full. I did have this shotgun at another armor who did some spring tuning and I think he may have stretched out the carrier latch spring to help compensate. While troubleshooting today I stretched it out a bit and it seems to have reduced the issue. A heavy duty latch spring might do the trick. I am up for any other suggestions. Otherwise I might be shopping for a new A5 in the near future. 

28 minutes ago, T Bacus said:

Alma,

The Versamax uses a dual spring. Assuming the springs are about the same size I can bring you in a set of the VM springs for you to try in your Browning.

Thanks, Tim. 

It looks just like the one from my Browning Gold or in the Winchester SX guns. Briley used to make a reduced power one. I may contact them to see whether they could make an overpowered one. 

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/carrier-parts/carrier-springs/carrier-latch-spring-sku910000330-13495-32569.aspx

5 hours ago, 12Bravo said:

The winchester/fn spring does have a higher tension than the browning part

Thank you! 

I will put a couple on order and try that out. 

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the Winchester sx3 spring in mine to help with this problem.  Brownells has them.   Two things that I can add is that the new spring was a little to stiff at first the shell would release from the tube but then get pinched between the receiver and catch not allowing it to feed.  But it is breaking in fairly quickly.  Also I would suggest getting one or two of those little clips that holds the catch pin in, they have the tendency to take flight during removal or installation.

13 hours ago, Woody3025 said:

I installed the Winchester sx3 spring in mine to help with this problem.  Brownells has them.   Two things that I can add is that the new spring was a little to stiff at first the shell would release from the tube but then get pinched between the receiver and catch not allowing it to feed.  But it is breaking in fairly quickly.  Also I would suggest getting one or two of those little clips that holds the catch pin in, they have the tendency to take flight during removal or installation.

Woody,

Looking to upgrade my spring, how do you remove carrier latch assembly?

Thanks

Rob

Rob, after verifying you have a clear firearm,  remove the trigger group.  Then if look in the bottom loading port you wil see a pin that the shell catch pivots on.  If you look inside the receiver you will see a very small groove, in that groove there is a very small cotter pin type clip, which needs to be removed, I sanded down a small Allen wrench to fit in the slot and work it out.  Be careful it gets lost easy.   The pin will then come out from the bottom you will see the top of the pin in the ejection port.   Use a small punch to push it out the bottom, some pressure with a finger on the shell catch assembly may be needed to help free the pin it is under A little spring pressure. After removal the shell catch is free to be removed.  It is a two piece unit with a spring in the front and back so it can be tricky at first.  You are wanting to replace the spring at the rear of the assembly it is the cone shaped spring.  I hope this helps, FYI I am not a gunsmith just pretty mechanically inclined and also had some help from others,  so don't get yourself in trouble no shame in getting a gunsmith to help out.  

45 minutes ago, Woody3025 said:

Rob, after verifying you have a clear firearm,  remove the trigger group.  Then if look in the bottom loading port you wil see a pin that the shell catch pivots on.  If you look inside the receiver you will see a very small groove, in that groove there is a very small cotter pin type clip, which needs to be removed, I sanded down a small Allen wrench to fit in the slot and work it out.  Be careful it gets lost easy.   The pin will then come out from the bottom you will see the top of the pin in the ejection port.   Use a small punch to push it out the bottom, some pressure with a finger on the shell catch assembly may be needed to help free the pin it is under A little spring pressure. After removal the shell catch is free to be removed.  It is a two piece unit with a spring in the front and back so it can be tricky at first.  You are wanting to replace the spring at the rear of the assembly it is the cone shaped spring.  I hope this helps, FYI I am not a gunsmith just pretty mechanically inclined and also had some help from others,  so don't get yourself in trouble no shame in getting a gunsmith to help out.  

Thanks! Pretty easy really, once I found and removed clip, used small finish nail to push pin from top. A little tricky putting it back together, but only took about 15 minutes after stripping gun down. Appreciate the help. 

My issue is a bit different in my sx3. When the mag tube is full at 9+4 rounds, at initial loading retracting the bolt, the shell will release to the carrier but the carrier will not lift the shell to chamber and the bolt will lock back. Depress the release button or push the carrier upwards and it will feed. But it wont jam during firing. With lesser rounds in the mag at initial loadings, its ok. Same spring issue?

• 3 weeks later...

Is sx3 new.   I had a similar problem with my A5 when I put the sx3 latch spring in it. The spring is really stiff when new it and it pinches the rim of the shell against the receiver preventing it from feeding.  Never seemed to effect it when shooting just at intial charging.  Has went away with more use.  

About 300 rnds old. Think it has something to do with mag spring vs the latch spring. It feeds fine when in its out of the box 4 shell configuration. When I installed +9 tube extn it wont feed correctly when loaded to full 13 rnds. At 11 to 10 or less its ok.