Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scorpion EVO -Taccom Mag splice review.

I have no affiliation with TACCOM.  If anyone it thinking about these I thought I would post some info.  I just received my item yesterday and after a few assembly repetitions, I have a few tips.  Firstly, its $29, 2nd is mostly 3d printed.  If that upsets your sensibility, look at some of the other options made of Aluminium.  For those of you that don't know, you basically assemble the mags butt to butt and cover the feed lips of the lower magazine with a 3d printed cap.

7B2CF5DE-8F51-4E7B-92DF-CF4E7223825D_zps

I used it to mate a 20 and 30 round magazine.  The first recommendation I would make is to use the smaller mag as the one that will be inserted in the gun.  That allows the floor plate to spend its time in the lower magazine.  You will have to alter the top follower and take the little tab off it so it will transition to the lower mag.  I then reduced the size of the follower slightly with some sanding of the sides and beveled the edges to help the transition.  Beveling the edges of the magazine butt ends is suggested.

The next suggestion I would make is to glue the two mag floor plates together which helps the springs to remain aligned with one another.  When using a single floor plate the spring looked a little wonky.  Simply sand off the square nubs that lock the floor plate to the base plate, apply glue and clamp.   Another thing that may improve function is to align the spring angles, like this - // -where they meet at the floor plate.  The lower follower does not need the spring aligned properly.  Here is a pic of the two glued together floor plates providing some control of the two springs.

7530C27B-BBB8-4882-B1B9-DB4AE5A56E0F_zps

Don't overtighten the 'splice', it may pinch the connection.  These screws should have some spring tension to keep them from working loose.  Test the fit with a cleaning rod by pushing it in sharply to see if there is any binding,  if it binds repeat previous steps.  Save your thumbs a little work before trying ammo.  Here is the 3d printed fitting sandwiched between some plastic plates.  

18D651FB-F3DD-4A53-8637-CE05D922A067_zps

They will never win a beauty contest, however, like the TACCOM funnels......they will not break (ever) and they will work. Even though it is a 3D printed part, keep in mind that it is TPU or some call it Ninja Flex mat'l.......they claim A80 durometer, I'm thinking more like 70.....flexible, yet stiff especially with the backer plates.

The SIG, Colt and Scorpion seem to work well with the factory springs all day long. The Glock springs, I feel are somewhat anemic and while they will work (barely) I recommend a 23 coil spring, then clip 4 coils off the 17 round spring to get you 48 rounds in the magazine.

You hit the nail on the head.......do not over tighten the screws of you can bind up in the joint. Neat idea on the glue thing!!!

To run with the 3d printed theme, I picked up a printed loader for the scorpion.  It is equally ugly to the Taccom parts but it works well.  Loaded the 51 round mag easily and no sore fingers.  Basically a Glock loader.  It was $16.

IMG_8577.JPG

IMG_8579.JPG

• 2 months later...

Update.  Running the 51 round mag, I had some of the early rounds in the mag with severe bullet set back.  The bullet was stuck nose on feed ramp and the big ol bolt rammed it straight into it.  At first I thought it was my reloads so I tried factory and same thing.  It seems to be on the first 10 rounds so I spliced 2-20's.  I have not tested it yet.

11 hours ago, speedpower said:

I'm glad I went with the CZ Custom aluminum extended base pad which adds 20 round to a total of 50, it's kind of expensive but it runs flawlessly

Does the spring that comes with the extension work well added to a 30 round mag? Or is is made to be used in conjunction with a 20 rounder?

What kind of ammo have you run through yours?

I ran my CZ that my buddy claimed was NOT function at all. I had 2 setups with the splice and ran them both with 50 rounds to start......zero issues. Brand new magazines, a 20 and a 30 end to end, fed thru the 20. I used Winchester white box 115's. I used only one internal locking floor plates.

• 1 year later...

I tried the Tacoma coupler, varied screw tension, mag lengths and spring combos. Never had any success getting it to feed reliably. Apparently my mileage did vary. Switched over to the TF 10 round extension. Only 40 rounds but zero feed/function issues.

• 4 weeks later...