New open gun coming along

redfisher

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Steelix said:

Nice looking gun there, 9mm or 38sc. 

38SC, just got back into it after a long hiatus, currently just shooting local matches 4-6 per month and I get most of my brass back. Not in my hands yet, Glenn is test firing this weekend. After that coat it up and I'll hopefully get it in about two weeks.

22 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

4-6 matches a month? Geez. Cut that back to 2 and spend the other days training. Get gooder.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

i say shoot 4-6 matches a month and be sure and live and dry fire practice in between. 

Umm, no.

4-6 matches, at 15 bucks a match (conservatively) plus ammo... let's call it 90 in match fees plus another ~110 in ammo. That's a lot of money that doesn't actually count towards getting better (matvhes don't count as training).

Compare that to 30 in matches and 36 in ammo. That's a savings of $134. If you spent the difference on ammo exclusively for practice, that's like 1100 rounds of ammo a MONTH of training.

That person is going to completely destroy the person that shoots 6 matches a month.

38 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

Umm, no.

4-6 matches, at 15 bucks a match (conservatively) plus ammo... let's call it 90 in match fees plus another ~110 in ammo. That's a lot of money that doesn't actually count towards getting better (matvhes don't count as training).

Compare that to 30 in matches and 36 in ammo. That's a savings of $134. If you spent the difference on ammo exclusively for practice, that's like 1100 rounds of ammo a MONTH of training.

That person is going to completely destroy the person that shoots 6 matches a month.

You are right of course . . . . . I will practice more once the gun comes, the load is right, the mags are all running.  I've been shooting LTD for the last year and a half, but I much prefer open. My open experience is all with Caspian's built (and shot) in the 90's. just picked the sport up again about 2.5 years ago, caspian worked well but the mags are painful and I started the process of switching to 2011's before the MBX caspian mags were announced. I'll get the practice in but I enjoy the matches.

Thanks,

Jeff

1 hour ago, Gooldylocks said:

Umm, no.

Shooting a match is a skill in itself. 

Your assuming that if you shoot a lot of matches you don't have time or money to practice. 

11 minutes ago, ShortBus said:

Shooting a match is a skill in itself. 

Your assuming that if you shoot a lot of matches you don't have time or money to practice. 

I'm classified A in both Ltd and open. I earned the A open in the 90's. the A Ltd last year, because I tend to shoot classifiers well. With a little practice and reliable open gun I can shoot in the mid A range on a regular basis, that would make me happy.

jeff

1 minute ago, ShortBus said:

If you've been in A class for 20+ years you need to try something new lol

Didn't shoot at all from 97 or 98 until 2015. I enjoy the sport, I enjoy the people, in a lot of ways it is new.

jeff

We don't do this for a living . at least most of us don't.

So do what you enjoy and don't obsess over what others think you should do, unless they are buying your guns and paying your match fees!!!

Very nice pistol you're having the guys at LS build for you.

Enjoy it to the chagrin of the rest of us!!

4 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

4-6 matches a month? Geez. Cut that back to 2 and spend the other days training. Get gooder.

Today has had a lot of good entries, but this wins for dumbest post of the day. I thought you were a real life buddy of the OP joking around with him until you tried to justify it with another dumb post.

Cute gun, very new age Terminator-esque.

Today has had a lot of good entries, but this wins for dumbest post of the day. I thought you were a real life buddy of the OP joking around with him until you tried to justify it with another dumb post.

Cute gun, very new age Terminator-esque.

Dumb post? In what way? Trying to help the OP be successful at this game? I'm certainly not the best shooter or most dilengent in my training, but I certainly understand what it takes to a kinda high level. And that definitely isn't through shooting that many matches.

2 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

Dumb post? In what way? Trying to help the OP be successful at this game? I'm certainly not the best shooter or most dilengent in my training, but I certainly understand what it takes to a kinda high level. And that definitely isn't through shooting that many matches.

Well, it's a dumb post in that some guy starts a thread to brag a little and show off pictures of his shiny new gun, tangentially mentioning that he shoots the weekly or more local match.  Without him soliciting opinions from the peanut gallery, you tell him to "get gooder" because you think matches aren't as useful as spending that same day going and shooting alone in a corner somewhere instead of entering the match.

He didn't ask you what you would suggest to try and get on "your level", he probably doesn't f*ing care.  He's showing off his gun, go find a completely different thread to offer training advice in.  Get gooder better at posting where your opinion is requested instead of disdained.

5 hours ago, JimmyBob said:

it's dumb, you tell him to "get gooder" because you think matches aren't useful

Not saying that your observation is totally incorrect,

BUT, this is a  "discussion"  forum.

People can respond with a joke, or an aside - Heck, I've even

hijacked threads, shamelessly    :)

But, we all try to be nice and just get along ....  and

learn a LOT in the process       :bow:

Hello: Shoot that pistol as much as you can. Glenn builds a very cool looking pistol and has that 3D cutting down to an art. You can use a local match for practice as well. Work at the things you need to work at. A match is a good place to do that also. Have fun and shoot that pistol-----alot. Thanks, Eric

44 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Shoot that pistol as much as you can. Glenn builds a very cool looking pistol and has that 3D cutting down to an art. You can use a local match for practice as well. Work at the things you need to work at. A match is a good place to do that also. Have fun and shoot that pistol-----alot. Thanks, Eric

Thanks, I plan on doing that. I stumbled onto Glenn/LSI because of the Comp testing thread.  I'm sure it will be a great gun to shoot.