Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun choice for CO

calebj06

14 minutes ago, tyman1876 said:

CO is only minor PF

True, but that's still a power factor :)

If you have a gun with a shorter barrel, it can be hard to make minor power factor with factory ammo.  

I bought a 9mm 1911 with a 4.25" barrel (don't ask - long story) for Single Stack and most readily available factory ammo at that time would not consistently make the 125PF minor floor, let alone the 130-133PF that I was hoping for.  

Reloading solved that.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:00 PM, alma said:

You can have a it milled and use a cover plate to shoot in Production. 

USPSA made that clear. I think BoD meeting minutes? It's out there for sure.

While I agree that you should be able to use one as long as it's made from steel, I cannot find that in any minutes or rulings.

1 hour ago, DementedAntics said:

Where would one find or obtain an answer? Can you email or contact the board to find an answer?

Have you tried the USPSA website? They have a forum and the email contacts are listed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2017 at 8:44 AM, tyman1876 said:

CO is only minor PF

Yes, but my 5.25 XDM gains about 50 fps,sometimes a little more than my 3.8 inch gun. 

So, why shoot higher Power factor than you need to?

Also, unless it has a factory lightened slide, you do have more moving mass to deal with.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/30/2017 at 8:33 PM, cj36d said:

Built an M&P core pro with a Leupold DP Pro.  If I had it to do over again I would have gone with the new Sig P320 X5 with a Romeo 1.

As to your question about long slide guns when using an optic...the fundamentals of design don't change when you bolt on a dot.  Longer barrels equal more accuracy, consistent groupings, and more total mass which assists recoil management.  Look at the length of a quality open gun...

Old post I know.... I don't think a longer barrel is more accurate, at least this is how it is with rifles. Less barrel whip on shorter barrels. I'm assuming we don't care about sight radius especially since we are talking optics.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2017 at 10:58 PM, FunkyTownAggie said:

I don't think a longer barrel is more accurate, at least this is how it is with rifles. Less barrel whip on shorter barrels. I'm assuming we don't care about sight radius especially since we are talking optics.

+1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:46 AM, StuckinMS said:

The Springfield Armory 5.25 9mm competition is awesome! With parts from dawson mags will hold 23 rounds and the adjustable rear sight can be swapped for a bracket and red dot.  

My SA 5.25 got a new life from doing that.  I went to CZ for production and the SA was sitting in the safe.  Swapped out the rear sight for bracket and dot and I get to play in CO.  Even better when I did the trigger.

Now that CZ Custom is doing the rear sight plate, that's a great option especially if you want to have your options open for production.

Now, if they'd increase the weight limit, so the Shadow 2 could be in CO, I'd buy one as soon as CZC offered the rear sight plate.  The Shadow 2 fits my hand much better.

On 10/3/2017 at 10:06 PM, cody6477 said:

My SA 5.25 got a new life from doing that.  I went to CZ for production and the SA was sitting in the safe.  Swapped out the rear sight for bracket and dot and I get to play in CO.  Even better when I did the trigger.

Be sure to get the dawson base pad and spring to add 3 or 4 rounds to your mags also.