Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun choice for CO

calebj06

So I shot carry optics for my first match and loved it. I'm currently shooting a g19MOS with a vortex venom dot. 

So the 19 was purchased before competition shooting was in the picture. 

So now I'm thinking about getting something more geared toward competitions and it got me to thinking. 

Usuallly one would go with a 17 or 34 for uspsa due to a longer sight radius. But I'm shooting optics! 

So what would me advantages be of going to a longer gun? Especially since longer mags are not an issue with glock. 

A slightly larger girp? 

Little more velocity out of the barrel?  

Im just wondering out loud here. I know if I decide to go production or limited I'll get a 34 or 35 (or something different all together). 

This isn't really glock specific. I'm just wondering, why should I buy a longer gun if I'm not using the sights anyway?

caleb

Built an M&P core pro with a Leupold DP Pro.  If I had it to do over again I would have gone with the new Sig P320 X5 with a Romeo 1.

As to your question about long slide guns when using an optic...the fundamentals of design don't change when you bolt on a dot.  Longer barrels equal more accuracy, consistent groupings, and more total mass which assists recoil management.  Look at the length of a quality open gun...

On 4/30/2017 at 5:14 PM, ToddKS said:

I prefer the balance and feel of the G17 over the G34. Personal preference.

+1.  I originally had a G17 that was my GSSF gun and Bought a G34 with intentions of building it for CO class, but a friend advised me to really shoot both to see if which one would feel best.  Ended selling the G34 top end and kept the lower to be a back up for the G17.

On 4/30/2017 at 8:33 PM, cj36d said:

As to your question about long slide guns when using an optic...the fundamentals of design don't change when you bolt on a dot.  Longer barrels equal more accuracy, consistent groupings, and more total mass which assists recoil management.  Look at the length of a quality open gun...

Um.  Accuracy doesn't depend on barrel length.  (It might depend on sight radius for many people in terms of precision, but with a dot that's not an issue.)  Similarly, "consistent grouping" doesn't depend on barrel length.

Open guns tend to have longer barrels because it makes it easier to make major (longer barrel = more velocity).  Similarly, it is easier to make Minor with low-power loads using a G34 compared to a G17.  (As an example.)

Mass, and placement of mass, I agree, can assist in recoil management (or at least change the recoil impulse). 

I don't believe I've ever run into anyone who said the longer barrel on their Open gun helped them be more accurate, or more consistent in their group sizes.

19 hours ago, Thomas H said:

Um.  Accuracy doesn't depend on barrel length.  (It might depend on sight radius for many people in terms of precision, but with a dot that's not an issue.)  Similarly, "consistent grouping" doesn't depend on barrel length.

Open guns tend to have longer barrels because it makes it easier to make major (longer barrel = more velocity).  Similarly, it is easier to make Minor with low-power loads using a G34 compared to a G17.  (As an example.)

Mass, and placement of mass, I agree, can assist in recoil management (or at least change the recoil impulse). 

I don't believe I've ever run into anyone who said the longer barrel on their Open gun helped them be more accurate, or more consistent in their group sizes.

+1.  A lot of precision rifles are getting shorter...16-18" barrels.  It depends on the cartridge how short you can go without losing too much fps.  Barrel length doesn't have that much to do with the actual accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

If I were going to shoot CO, it would be with a CZ 75 in one flavor or another.  Recoil and muzzle rise are considerably less than with any poly gun.

On 5/3/2017 at 3:07 PM, Thomas H said:

You should definitely mount your Optic to an M&P shield compact.

I already have a G34 for production, would I be able to have it milled for an optic and just put a plate on if I go back to production?

I don't think so. You could just get a mount that fits in the rear sight dovetail... easy to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12 hours ago, tdp88 said:

I already have a G34 for production, would I be able to have it milled for an optic and just put a plate on if I go back to production?

You can't have it milled and go back to Production.  You could buy a G34 MOS and go both ways.

2 hours ago, LeviSS said:

You can't have it milled and go back to Production.  You could buy a G34 MOS and go both ways.

You can have a it milled and use a cover plate to shoot in Production. 

USPSA made that clear. I think BoD meeting minutes? It's out there for sure.

Edited by alma

2 minutes ago, alma said:

Ok.  I may have been going off of old info.  I can't keep up with all the clarifications... should have known better.

10 hours ago, LeviSS said:

Ok.  I may have been going off of old info.  I can't keep up with all the clarifications... should have known better.

Just to be clear, I can't use a cover in Production?

4 hours ago, tdp88 said:

Just to be clear, I can't use a cover in Production?

You can use a cover plate in Production to fill the gap milled for an optic. 

On 5/18/2017 at 11:43 AM, zombywoof said:

Stock ll

Does anyone make a dovetail adapter for the EAA guns? Primary Machine only has the RMR version stll available. To mill the EAA would probably get into the FP block, which I think you stll have to have in CO, if it came with one.

I think my Limited Pro with a DeltaPoint on a Primary Machine mount is great. Wish I could buy another one just like it. 44.5oz.

Edited by OPENB

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2017 at 4:09 AM, alma said:

You can use a cover plate in Production to fill the gap milled for an optic. 

I have been trying to find the answer to this very question. Do you have literature to prove it, that would be a great help. Thanks!

On 5/17/2017 at 1:00 PM, alma said:

I have been searching for this answer. I have two CZ 75's milled for optics and CO division. I have asked around and searched forums for an answer. I finally broke down and bought a new slide for one of them to use as a backup gun for my Production CZ 75. 

It's not that I don't believe you, but if challenged I (the shooter) have to provide proof of eligibility for a plate covering the milled surface. It makes total sense that I can do the same thing the manufacturer can do, but I have no documentation. I am pretty darn good at reading all BOD minutes and I have never seen this.

If you find it again please let us all know where.