Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training to obtain GM times

DKnoch

On 6/3/2017 at 1:02 PM, DKnoch said:

Brings me to my next problem- learning how to shoot tight partials at speed in a classifier. I've been told to still shoot them aggressively on a classifier. Any tips on making a head shot reliably without slowing down? Or do I just need to practice going from a full target to a tight shot?

I would suggest practicing. I have been having the same issue. it generally takes more visual patience to get an appropriate sight picture on a head-shot or tight partial, which generally takes more time, but the more you practice looking at a particular spot on the target and driving the gun to that spot, the less time it will take. I recently figured I was doing too much of my training on open targets, and mostly just looking for the center of brown instead of individual spots. I've improved alot in the last month or so just by putting mostly partials into my dryfire. Using various types of partials, one of the things I'm  building into my subconscious is where to aim on a partial. Another important thing i'm doing is keeping my eyes on the sights for the 2nd shot.

The best way to learn how to shoot partials at speed is to do it, a lot. In practice set up wide open targets and then headshots or zebras. Practice shooting the open targets at full on speed and then dialing back your vision to pay more attention for the partial, then open it back up on the open targets. 

Practicing with a tough mini popper and an easy open paper is good for this too. Or, an open target on both ends of a plate rack. Hose, shoot two plates, hose other side, shoot two plates, etc. 

Good info there, thanks guys. I put some partial scaled targets up dryfiring last night, in middle of 3 target array. Figured open, partial, then open target would be a good sequence. I need to get out to the range and set this up soon