Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Sight Options

jwilkinson6

After the slug targets at Vortex ate my lunch, I'm in need of suggestions for shotgun sights. I'm using the original white bead on my VM and it's not cutting it anymore.

What's working best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rear sight:

Painted white dot < Mid bead < XS sight in a dovetail < 10/22 flip up < Adjustable pistol sight (Bomar or Novak)

Front sight:

Factory bead < HiViz Comp or Tri Comp < Fiber optic pistol sight in dovetail

The XS rear with a HiViz front bead seems to be the most popular set up. Visible and useful without being too obtrusive.

Edited by GunCat

I've put the STI/Bomar style rear sight on a few shotguns. I don't really like the way it looks but I can't deny that the .115 rear notch combined with a Hi-Viz fiber front is one heck of a good sight picture that allows you to adjust for point of impact.

HiViz TriComp front, the triangle tip gives a great POA reference. XS rear with a notch milled into it as I didn't like the V-notch, plus I wanted the bottom of the notch flush with the rib.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I really like the HiViz sights. I've had one on my benelli m1 for 4 years, and like being able to switch to a smaller fiber optic, particularly when I know I'm going to be shooting slugs. Just make sure you use a little loctite, and it will be reliable, I've never had mine fall out/move/etc.

On 4/29/2017 at 8:48 PM, jwilkinson6 said:

After the slug targets at Vortex ate my lunch, I'm in need of suggestions for shotgun sights. I'm using the original white bead on my VM and it's not cutting it anymore.

What's working best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should probably just practice shooting slugs more often...

Like previously mentioned, Loctite works great to keep it from moving.  I still had one rotate on me even with Loctite, so what I did on the last one is remove the fiber sight, and drill a small hole and set a roll pin through the sight and through the rib (then obviously put the fiber back in). This will prevent it from rotating.  Or you could drill and tap another screw, but I didn't have a tap set that small. 

Most guys will say its not necessary, but its a little extra step I take to make sure it doesn't rotate. 

• 1 month later...