Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New open pistol ammo question

Harleyhater

For a beginner,  I strongly suggest WAC or HS6 under 124 gr JHP's ...

End up around 7 gr WAC or 8 gr HS6 - have to start a grain lower and

work up, slowly, with a chrono.

Both are great loads - I have used both for the past ten years :) 

Bullet - Precision Delta, Montana Gold or Zero 124 JHP

Primer- A any small pistol or Federal Small Rifle

Powder- Silhouette or Aotocomp

OAL- 1.165 

7 Grains of Silhouette = 171 Power Factor.

Many CK Open 9's come with short throated barrels - mine did.

First thing you need to do in working up a load is determine how long you can safely load OAL for YOUR guns barrel using your bullets. Do the 'plunk test'.

I shoot Montana Gold 115 & 124 JHP's in my guns. These just barely contact the leade at 1.140 OAL. I'm currently loading at 1.130 OAL to give a little clearance.

Longer loads like 1.165 OAL are definitely preferred in 9 major to increase chamber volume & reduce peak chamber pressure. But NOT if they are pressed into the leade. 

Shooting longer loads like 1.165 OAL in a barrel like mine is asking for trouble including:

- increased chamber pressure

- possible failure to go completely into battery (this adds risk for case rupture or FTGB)

- possible bullet extraction when unloading chamber

To be safe, check your barrel first and be sure.

172PF loads in CK Arms Thunder 9 (PVD barrel)

Bullet - 115gr Montana Gold JHP

Primer - CCI SPP

Powder - 8.6 gr HS-6 -or- 7.4 gr WAC

OAL  - 1.130

The HS-6 load feels best to me, but both are nice.

H, some barrels are a lot faster or slower than others.  Some bullets are faster than others that look to be the same.  You just have to work up the load and chrono.  What counts is making PF in your gun.

Edited by zzt

On 4/30/2017 at 11:48 AM, Gooldylocks said:

115 gr Everglades Ammunition JHP V2
8.9 of HS6
S&B SPP
.376 crimp

176 at Area 1

That sounds like a lot of crimp...  Do you crimp that tight to avoid the 115gr bullet pulling out of the case?  Do you use a specific 9mm head stamp?

It is a bit more crimp than I normally would do, yes. But back when I was shooting plated I had a couple back out from recoil in the magazine. It has never happened with jacketed, but I tightened up my crimp just to be careful, because that is a very stupid way to zero a stage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

I had a couple back out from recoil, but I tightened up my crimp just to be careful

Not sure that crimp tightens up the cases purchase on the bullet ...

That's really more a function of the sizing die you use, and the brass of course.

Has the tighter crimp affected accuracy, at all?

No it hasn't, not with jacketed. They still shoot sub 2" at 25. I use a U die, so it's as tight as it gets. I'm sure it is just the slick nature of plated bullets, and it's probably overkill on my part, but it gives me peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I haven't found crimp depth to affect accuracy at all.  I set my crimp to avoid bullet set back.  I've never had any bullet fall out.  For soft Rainier plated bullets, I require less crimp.  It still take 6-7 good whacks with a bullet puller to pull the bullet.

With Xtreme (harder) plated bullets, that amount of crimp releases the bullet in 1 or 2 whacks, so I crimp deeper.  I'm about to load up a bunch of XTP and HAP bullets, plus 3000 155 MG JHPs, so I'll experiment with crimp depth with them.

24 minutes ago, zzt said:

I haven't found crimp depth to affect accuracy at all.  I set my crimp to avoid bullet set back.  I've never had any bullet fall out.  For soft Rainier plated bullets, I require less crimp.  It still take 6-7 good whacks with a bullet puller to pull the bullet.

With Xtreme (harder) plated bullets, that amount of crimp releases the bullet in 1 or 2 whacks, so I crimp deeper.  I'm about to load up a bunch of XTP and HAP bullets, plus 3000 155 MG JHPs, so I'll experiment with crimp depth with them.

chewing antelope.gif