Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B Primer Bar not Moving as Expected

I have a 550B with a case feeder.   When I cycle the handle, the system hangs up as the primer cup reaches the hole.   I have the slide bar adjustment screw (14037) set up so that the Primer Slide Return Spring Post just touches it with the primer cup centered in the hole.    What I see happening is that, as I lift the handle, the Primer Slide Return Spring Post touches the screw (When the handle is about 5 degrees from vertical) and then backs away just a little, maybe 10 to 20 mils.   The primer cup looks like it's hanging up on edge of the hole in the shell plate on the edge towards the primer slide.    If I push the slide in a little, or wiggle the case feeder a little, the primer cup moves into the hole.

Any ideas?   I can make it work.   But I hate having a machine that doesn't work right.

10 hours ago, Smitty79 said:

Any ideas?   I can make it work.   But I hate having a machine that doesn't work right.

Sell it and get a 650? Sorry but that's what I did after dicking with the 550 priming system long enough.

But if you insist on keeping it, Things I would try first are spinning the primer cup to see if it lines up better, loosen the entire punch and turning it a little, tear the primer system all the way down and clean it , call Dillon.

6 hours ago, Sarge said:

Sell it and get a 650? Sorry but that's what I did after dicking with the 550 priming system long enough.

But if you insist on keeping it, Things I would try first are spinning the primer cup to see if it lines up better, loosen the entire punch and turning it a little, tear the primer system all the way down and clean it , call Dillon.

I just bought a 650 from one of the local Masters who bought a 1050.    I'd like to use the 650 for 9 and the 550 for other stuff.

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

• Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)  
  • Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.
  • At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.
  • Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.
  • Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!
  • Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 1.215 - 1.220 inches.
  • Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.
  • Be sure the plastic tips of all your Primer Pickup Tubes and the plastic tip on the bottom of the Priming Magazine are seated fully against the tubes.
  • Grease the short end of the op-rod where it inserts into the bracket clamped around the primer shield.