Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger malfunction help

sb3

I'll take any help I can get.

My m3k has started in with a strange malfunction about 1 in 10 rounds. It will fire, cycle and fully chamber the next round. The hammer is forward and there is a shell on the lifter. What happened and why?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"IF" your not pulling the trigger for the second shot real fast and out running the somewhat slugish action of the Stoeger......

What is happening is the hammer is following the bolt down, as the hammer spring and plunger near the top of their stroke, they push up on the shell release tab ( thats the little arm that stick out of the top of the shell release tab by the trigger guard). This is what is releasing the next shell on to the lifter.......it is how ALL SHELLS are fed from the tube on anything that is a knock off of the Benelli system....Remington, Stoeger, A-5, CZ etc. That is what is happening....IF YOU AREN'T PULLING THE TRIGGER A SECOND TIME!!!!

The WHY is simple.....if you aren't pulling the trigger.....your disconnector is working intermittently, or not at all. Probably cracked or rounding out and letting the hammer slip off.......like Stoeger are known to do. Some parts really should be made from good steel and propperly heat treated, but then stuff starts to cost more! ;)

Edited by kurtm

Thanks Kurt, I will first examine my possibly speedy trigger finger. Then evaluate the disconnector to see if that may be the culprit. It certainly stands to reason that you could easily be correct on both counts. Thank you for the expertise and great explanation.

Do you have any dummy rounds? If you do you can load it up, pull the trigger, cycle it by hand, etc. to watch what is happening. A disconector not holding might become obvious while hand cycling if you keep the trigger held back while you open/close the action, then release the trigger.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this, the issue actually seems to be a failure to fire. About 1 in 20 rounds upon pulling the trigger the hammer will fall and a new shell will drop on the lifter but the firing pin won't even dent the primer. Any more thoughts?

It is not going fully into battery, or it is bouncing back out of battery when closing. Search on Benelli click. Lots of info on that I'm sure. But I would start by using a good quality grease on the cam pin and slot it rides in