Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith/machining for slide mounted dot

cheers623

Hey guys, I had a great local smith build me an open gun with Jpoint mounted on the slide. Had problems with two different Jpoints in a row. One had auto brightness issues, the other had zero-wandering issues. Without arguing the pros/cons of slide mounted dots, my question is does anyone know a smith that could machine my slide to accept something similar to the Glock/S&W/SA MOS plates that can allow the use of multiple optics. I'd like to try a few different ones before giving up on the slide-mount option. 

Help is greatly appreciated,

Cheers623

DVC

Any machine shop should be able to do that with the MOS plates.

Get any degree of pitch involved so vertical zero isn't at top or bottom of optic.  I would think that would be available on the web somewhere, sorry I don't have that info to give to you.  BUT who ever put the J-point on should be able to tell you if there is any degree of pitch to the mount area.

You could buy the Glock MOS plate kit and have your slide machine for the plates to work most likely. Looks like the 4 plate set is about $25 most places

Edited by mscott

10 hours ago, mro111lland said:

Does your dot have a spot on the bottom for locating pins if yes are there pins cut into the slide or does it just mount with the screws 

So, the slide is currently just cut for the small footprint of the Jpoint sight and tapped for the two screws. No locator pins. The horizontal surface of the machined area is cut with a 1 degree down angle. My idea is to machine out a larger area on that same 1 degree down angle and drill and tap a cutout for some sort of MOS adapter plate that could be swapped out to accommodate different mini-red dots. 

Anybody got a lead on someone that specializes in something like that?

Edited by cheers623
Additional info

The person who built your gun should be able to do that if he did the original machining on the slide for the J-Point.  You could try a Burris FF III or a Docter as I seem to remember they have the same footprint prior to more work on the slide.

cheers, you have o be careful about how far forward you mill.  You want some beef behind the breech face.  That limits the overall length of the sight you can mount.  You can mount a Burris FF3 on the slide such that the dot is barely above the top of the slide (round top), and the rear of the sight is just forward of the firing pin retainer.  If you move the front of the cutout as far forward as you dare, you have room to mount a C-More RTS2 such that the rear of the sight covers the firing pin retainer.  The RTS2 locating pins can me machined into the slide.  The FF3's are to outboard to work.

If you want to mount a larger sight, your only option is to make your scallop cut higher, flattop the rear of the slide and mount a univeral type mount.  You can then put in locating pins and screw holes.  Here is an adapter I saw used a couple of weeks ago. http://www.cwaccessories.com/Slide-Racker.html 

20 hours ago, cheers623 said:

Hey guys, I had a great local smith build me an open gun with Jpoint mounted on the slide. Had problems with two different Jpoints in a row. One had auto brightness issues, the other had zero-wandering issues. Without arguing the pros/cons of slide mounted dots, my question is does anyone know a smith that could machine my slide to accept something similar to the Glock/S&W/SA MOS plates that can allow the use of multiple optics. I'd like to try a few different ones before giving up on the slide-mount option. 

Help is greatly appreciated,

Cheers623

DVC

try carver..thats who does my slide work

the bench