Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swaging Primer Pockets on a 650?

On 6/3/2017 at 10:39 PM, coldshot said:

I have the Swage-It and the Super Swage. The Swage-It does put a lot of stress on the press. Jamming the swager head into the crimped pockets puts a ton of stress on the shell plate. The 1050 is all metal and designed to take more stress than the 650. I personally don't think the 650 is up to the task with its plastic parts. The 1050 has a 1-year warranty because it's a commercial-level machine. The 650 has a lifetime warranty because it's a hobby-level machine. If you start asking it to do the tasks that the 1050 is designed for, it's going to break and you'll possibly void your warranty. That's the same reason they don't make autodrive units for the 650. That's my personal opinion. I've gone back to the Dillon Super Swage for that reason.

Mark 7 makes auto drive for the 650 and there considered the best

• 3 weeks later...

When I set up my 650 to do a run of size, swage, trim, I use a tool steel shell plate.  I bought them many years ago off of Ebay and your not going to bend or break these.  So I use the swage it swager almost all of the time.   But I've noticed that sometimes it just doesn't get the job done.   I always use (There is a member here that makes them) pocket gages.   They alert me when I need to use my super swage on a piece of brass that didn't get swaged all the way.  But sometimes I've had brass that would not pass the pocket gages after the super swage.   It then becomes scrap.