Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swaging Primer Pockets on a 650?

I just bought a 650.   Is there a way to set up for primer pocket swaging on a 650 so I don't have problems with crimped pockets?   I don't sort brass by head stamp.    On my 550, I get about 1% interrupts because of tight pockets.   I have to toss the brass and primer and it takes time.

9 hours ago, Smitty79 said:

I just bought a 650.   Is there a way to set up for primer pocket swaging on a 650 so I don't have problems with crimped pockets?   I don't sort brass by head stamp.    On my 550, I get about 1% interrupts because of tight pockets.   I have to toss the brass and primer and it takes time.

I don't like deviating from the designed use for my 650. I use other methods off the press for primer pockets etc

If your running a 650 then you should have two separate tool heads already. One for brass prep and one for loading.

Here is how I load .223 on a 650.

Station 1 Dillion re-sized
Station 2 empty but Swage It installed
Station 3 Dillion trimmer
Station 4 empty
Station 5 Lyman M Xpander

You run the brass through the press once while cleaned and lubed.

Clean brass to remove sizing lube.

Remove the Swage It and install primer system. Run brass through the loading tool head.

Station 1 empty
Station 2 powder drop
Station 3 powder check
Station 4 seating die
Station 5 crimp die.

I have had no problems doing it this way with nothing but mixed brass. The cost of the Swage It is worth it if your loading in bulk.

I load precision 6.5 creedmoor in 50-100 rounds at a time. That's enough of brass prep for me. If I can automate it anymore for .223 I would.

I load 500 at a time at the minimum so quickest and easiest is what I go for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 29 April 2017 at 1:15 AM, Smitty79 said:

I heartily recommend a SwageIt primer pocket swager. I have sized and swaged  just over 8500 9mm FCNT cases in the past 4 weeks. I have two 1050's and think that the SwageIt / 650 combination is actually just as quick for case processing. 

Crimped WCC brass is easy load once it has been through the SwageIt.

1 hour ago, leewongfei said:

Don't these void your warranty on the 650? I personally wouldn't take that chance. 

The warranty is mentioned here:  http://www.dillonprecision.com/returns.html

Any modifications performed to any Dillon machine, or the addition of any unapproved equipment, including automated or mechanical add-ons from any other manufacturer, is expressly not recommended and will void the Dillon warranty. 

Wow, is using this worth losing the Dillon warranty? Why even risk it? To the original poster, I would stay away from this. Just buy a Dillon super swage and keep your warranty.

And for the similar price as a stage it, you can keep the super stage mounted by the press - encounter a crimped pocket, remove offender, swage, reinsert, move on with life. Process only what needs processed this way.

I know several folks swear by the swage mods for their 650's. I wouldn't do it because I don't think it would work on all cases and I would not risk voiding my Dilllon warranty. I bought Dillon's Super Swager instead, but ended up with a S1050 before putting it to use. I have processed thousands of 5.56 brass and would never dream of trying to swage on a 650 as the inside of the case is not supported and the shell plate is taking the force. In particular, LC and WCC required more force than other brands and I believe it would damage the shell plate. Also, it's interesting how many 650 swage it's, etc, you see being sold on this forum and others. Granted it's not a ton, but if they worked so great, I doubt you'd see so many. Just my .02

I know several folks swear by the swage mods for their 650's. I wouldn't do it because I don't think it would work on all cases and I would not risk voiding my Dilllon warranty. I bought Dillon's Super Swager instead, but ended up with a S1050 before putting it to use. I have processed thousands of 5.56 brass and would never dream of trying to swage on a 650 as the inside of the case is not supported and the shell plate is taking the force. In particular, LC and WCC required more force than other brands and I believe it would damage the shell plate. Also, it's interesting how many 650 swage it's, etc, you see being sold on this forum and others. Granted it's not a ton, but if they worked so great, I doubt you'd see so many. Just my .02

I can't recall seeing a Dillon swagger for sale-common things are common for a reason.

Using the Swage It is no more pressure on the shellplate then when priming cases.

It does LC, WCC, and Every other case manufacture I have tried just fine.

I have a Dillion Super Swage that will forever sit in its box.

I'll try and take a video of the Swage It in use this week.

19 hours ago, gixxerjunky said:Using the Swage It is no more pressure on the shellplate then when priming cases.

I am sure that mine is back in the same place  !

On 5/2/2017 at 5:19 AM, gixxerjunky said:

Using the Swage It is no more pressure on the shellplate then when priming cases.

I'll try and take a video of the Swage It in use this week.

Pushing a soft primer into a pocket designed to hold that primer seems like a great deal less force than shoving an oversized rod into that same hole in order to push metal out of the way and make that hole larger.

I see a lot of discussion about voiding the warranty but has anyone ever broken a 650 with the Uniquetek Swager?  I'm starting to process .223/5.56 brass for 300 Blackout and would like to hear more on how well it works (or not)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2017 at 10:02 PM, af220wa said:

I see a lot of discussion about voiding the warranty but has anyone ever broken a 650 with the Uniquetek Swager?  I'm starting to process .223/5.56 brass for 300 Blackout and would like to hear more on how well it works (or not)

+ one to this, I'm getting ready to add a 650 to my bench and was looking at the Swage It or the GS customs "The Answer" swager due to having a large amount of crimped 223/556 brass to load 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Swage-It and the Super Swage. The Swage-It does put a lot of stress on the press. Jamming the swager head into the crimped pockets puts a ton of stress on the shell plate. The 1050 is all metal and designed to take more stress than the 650. I personally don't think the 650 is up to the task with its plastic parts. The 1050 has a 1-year warranty because it's a commercial-level machine. The 650 has a lifetime warranty because it's a hobby-level machine. If you start asking it to do the tasks that the 1050 is designed for, it's going to break and you'll possibly void your warranty. That's the same reason they don't make autodrive units for the 650. That's my personal opinion. I've gone back to the Dillon Super Swage for that reason.

It's a hell of a lot simpler and faster to sort brass by head stamp and avoid running through a press twice. At around $30/thousand it doesn't make sense to waste time trying to use crimped brass or inferior head stamps. Throw it away. Better, if it's brass take it to the scrap yard and get some of your money back.  Don't waste your time with brass. It's shooting we are working on here. 

I would rather just load ammo than sort brass I hate sorting brass. I shoot a lot of 3 gun and load a lot of ammo for short to medium range and not that concerned with consistency. And getting rid of the crimped brass is losing some of the best brass.