Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First broken part in my Shadow 2

slavex

I broke my slidestop this weekend down in Jamaica, but not in a way I expected. The lever sheared off at the step. I can only assume this is a result of the boom I had with a box of ammo I'd specifically marked as "Do not use" and used because I'm an idiot. The pin was fine, just the lever broke off, so no slide locking back or anything. Luckily I noticed it before I shot the next stage.

Sorry you had it happen but it sounds like you caught it at a good time. Glad to hear it was from an unusual outside stress rather than just from something benign,

Though in a SP01 Shadow, my only slide stop breakage was the day after I had a single round that was a BOOM as well. Just that one stress event was enough to kill the slide stop about 50 rounds later.

7 hours ago, slavex said:

I can only assume this is a result of [using] a box of ammo I'd specifically marked as "Do not use" 

If there was a quote of the day section, this should be included.

Yeah I had a box of ammo that I knew had a double charge in it somewhere, I labeled it in big letters and everything, but in a rush one night I took it to the range and BOOM. New extractor, extractor pin and spring needed. Gun was fine other than that. Since a lot of the gas ejects out of the cut in the frame where the slidestop sits I'm not surprised it broke a couple hundred rounds later. Handy thing is I now know which is my practice slidestop and which is my match one lol. 

And yes, I'm a dumbass for grabbing that box off the bench, and an even dumber one for loading from it. I have no idea how I missed it that night.