Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LnL Case Feeder Tip Stop

I recently checked to see if Hornady had put out caliber-specific case drop tubes, meaning the last, metal tube the case falls thru before hitting the case-slide area. They have not. They have issued something better. It works well so far, and is inexpensive. I have not seen mention of it, so here goes:

This delrin item attaches to the metal drop tubes, part 22 (large) or part 53 (small). It is part 77, the  Case Feeder Tip Stop. It replaces the business card/rubber band or similar arrangements.

I bought one and have tried it. Considerably less hassle than the old method, stays in place with no rotation, works mo betta.

$2.99 from Midway.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/468790/hornady-lock-n-load-ap-case-feeder-tip-stop

Edited by ben b.

On 4/27/2017 at 8:38 PM, ben b. said:

Push it on the bottom of metal drop tube. It's a shaped tube extender from bottom of drop tube to the case slide area. 

I use a 12g shotgun hull for that.  

Someone needs to design something that prevents tipping when jumping the shell retainer spring.  Thats the real issue, especially with small base cases like 9mm and 223.

4 hours ago, Kaldor said:

...Someone needs to design something that prevents tipping when jumping the shell retainer spring.  Thats the real issue, especially with small base cases like 9mm and 223.

If the case retainer spring is slightly above flush, cases will tip.

I wouldn't be surprised if you have shell plates that do not push the retainer spring down far enough. My 223 cases tipped all of the time. My 45 cases never did. The 45 shell plate had a square ridge on the bottom. The 223 shell plate had a beveled ridge. Using the 45 plate as a test, the 223 cases never tipped. I exchanged my 223 plate for a new 223 plate from Hornady. The new 223 plate has a square ridge. That square ridge pushed the case retainer spring all the way down below flush. The cases don't tip anymore. 

I suspect Hornady contracted out some plates and had a bad batch. 

59 minutes ago, Kraj said:

I cut a piece of cardboard and taped it, making the tube long. This is much prettier though

I cut a sheet of thin clear plastic with a relief cut near the case slider. Zip tied it to drop tube. It was a minor hassle to put on. It rotated sometimes and pushed up the drop tube. The new piece from Hornady works perfectly so far and is easier. 

19 hours ago, ben b. said:

I wouldn't be surprised if you have shell plates that do not push the retainer spring down far enough. My 223 cases tipped all of the time. My 45 cases never did. The 45 shell plate had a square ridge on the bottom. The 223 shell plate had a beveled ridge. Using the 45 plate as a test, the 223 cases never tipped. I exchanged my 223 plate for a new 223 plate from Hornady. The new 223 plate has a square ridge. That square ridge pushed the case retainer spring all the way down below flush. The cases don't tip anymore. 

Ive tested this actually, and am running the most current version of all my plates.  My spring is below the deck.  Press timing is dead nuts on.  They just tip.  

I have toyed around with making different pusher feet that will prevent the cases from tipping but I already have 100 projects going.  Besides, my normal movement of picking up bullet as I run the press if I get a tipped case, I can correct it with a little flick of a finger without losing any real time in my loading routine.

I did design and make this from a piece or delrin as I had a ton of issues with the dropper pivot galling and jamming.  This fixed that permanently.

IMG_20160810_192241712_zpsvrw4uzdw.jpg

I also made a flipper that sits in the feed bowl that prevents case stacking and jamming at the top.

The judicious use of shim brass where the case feed bracket meets the square support for the case feeder solved my tipping problems for .223 cases.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2017 at 1:48 PM, ben b. said:

I have the same problem with 9mm cases tipping as they are pushed into the shell plate. My spring is below the indexing plate, but the cases were catching either the edge of the shell plate or on the edge next to the spring on the index plate.  Chamfering that edge helped a lot.

plate_chamfer.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2017 at 11:12 AM, ben b. said:

This delrin item attaches to the metal drop tubes, part 22 (large) or part 53 (small). It is part 77, the  Case Feeder Tip Stop. It replaces the business card/rubber band or similar arrangements.

This mod has been around for several years. When I first saw it, it was a piece of PVC sliced vertically to provide clamping tension on the tube, with the window cut out for the shuttle.  Works quite well. 

On 7/6/2017 at 7:59 AM, slappy said:

Kaldor, can we get a picture of the flipper in the feed bowl that you reference?

I think so.  On my cell right now, so its a little bit painful.  Easier to link in a video.

I've also seen a version that uses a piece of tubing.  I'll see if I can't find it.

18 hours ago, Kaldor said:

I think so.  On my cell right now, so its a little bit painful.  Easier to link in a video.

I've also seen a version that uses a piece of tubing.  I'll see if I can't find it.

Do you leave that in there for pistol brass to or do you have to remove it? Can you make me one of them?

On 5/27/2017 at 3:41 PM, dcs1 said:

I have the same problem with 9mm cases tipping as they are pushed into the shell plate. My spring is below the indexing plate, but the cases were catching either the edge of the shell plate or on the edge next to the spring on the index plate.  Chamfering that edge helped a lot.

plate_chamfer.jpg

That's a great idea, I'm going to do the same. Thanks

I'm not really sure what this thread is about I never had to much trouble with cases tipping. One problem I had was if I tighten the screw on the "V" blocks they jam up between the shell plate and the v block. I finger tighten the screw and back it off 1/4 turn and it runs smoothly. I used some blue locktite on that screw and that gummy gue keeps the screw from moving. 

2 hours ago, louu said:

Do you leave that in there for pistol brass to or do you have to remove it? Can you make me one of them?

Nope, mine stays in for all cases.  Took me some figuring to make it work with everything I load.  And no, I will not make you one.  It's made from a piece of delrin, hand shaped to fit in the bowl.  Probably 2 hours of dicking around 

3 hours ago, louu said:

Louu, go check out the thread I linked in from THR.  There is an easy way to make one out of tubing for about $5 and 10 minutes of setup that does 99% of what mine does

You can achieve the same result with a number of things.  I use a section of Coke can and two Gem clips to flip any cases not in the slots back to the pile of brass on the low side.  The thread he links to on THR shows a section of tubing that rests on the bottom flat of the bowl and curves up to the side. 

Paul