Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with Shadow Firing Pin

joshuasm

Hey everyone,

I have a Shadow that is exhibiting light strikes with 13lb mainspring, stock firing pin and CGW reduced firing pin spring. On close inspection I noticed the firing pin is not protruding very far out where it contacts the hammer. Is this normal?

While I don't have the best micrometer skills I can put some numbers out there. Stock FP is about 2.470 and from the back 'shelf' (where it contacts the stop plate) to the end where it contacts the hammer is .135, with the pin installed in the gun the back end stands out and proud by only about .020... which does not seem like much. 

I have the extended pin that I will fit soon enough but I would like to hear y'alls thought and maybe measurements. 

Thanks!

check your firing pin spring; I think it may wear out.

On shadow, I use 11.5lb HS, and CGW extended FP+ RP FPS, no problem with CCI & Win primers.

While on Shadow 2, I had no problem with stock FP&FPS and 11.5HS, does this suggest that shadow 2 is a little bit more reliable?

When fitting the extended pin have y'all modified the front striking surface as well as the rear? My extended is coming in at 2.503 which is too close for comfort for me personally. 

I actually went and modified the OEM pin on the shelf so it stands out closer to .030 when installed - which is closer to the extended that stands out at .040. This modification with a RAMI spring will shoot a pen from the floor to the ceiling... or break the plastic completely on the bottom of the pen and shoot it two to three feet high. Still probably unreliable with this combo?

• 1 month later...

Update for posterity:

After modifying the OEM firing pin I have 100% reliability with factory and reloaded ammunition. I still have the extended firing pin on standby but the primer indentations are healthy.

So Modified OEM pin, 13lb. hammer spring, and RAMI firing pin spring is working, for me, in my Shadow.