Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 650 on the way

So I just ordered a 650 with case feeder and Mr. Bullet feeder in 40SW.  I plane on buying more caliber conversions down the road but only so much cash now.  I will be pulling the roller handle off my 550B before I sell it.  I will also keep all my case feeder plates and sell he one that comes with the new case feeder.  So other than the powder measure and powder die, primer tubes what if anything should I keep other than my dies. 

Also who makes the best live and spent primer upgrades for the 650.

Any other upgrades I should look into.

If new, I believe the 650 will come with the small pistol setup if you chose that.  Live and spent primer upgrades were never needed on my 15+ year old 650. 

I think you will like the 650. It is a bit more complicated than the 550 but mine has been extremely reliable through the years, albeit without Mr. Bullet. Most problems I had were solved with the clean-lube-tune approach. And BE.com is very good for troubleshooting any issues beyond that.

http://www.dillonupgrades.com/

I have the live and spent primer upgrade on my 650.  Both work quite well 

I have the same ones. The live primer doesn't get much of a workout except for occasional crimped primer pockets - I pull the cam for the primer advance off the frame when I'm setting my dies to avoid wasting primers.

The discharge assembly fits like a factory unit, and will probably be upgraded by drilling a hole in my bench and attaching a large capacity unit underneath, to clean things up a bit more. Not a priority unless the legs of the mount fail on me.

I would highly recommend getting a bearing kit for the shell plate, and a low-mass detent ball. I'm able to have my shellplate with almost no wiggle room and operate smooth as butter, and the low mass detent keeps the powder from flying as the ball engages the shellplate. My friend is envious, as he spills powder on almost every cycling of his press.

I'd also look at the inline fabrication handles. The bend prevents you from having to stoop/bend over on the downstroke of the handle, and is overall a better built unit than the basic dillon handle.

Save up for a mr. Bullet feeder. It transforms the reloading experience. If only 2 upgrades - mr bullet feeder, then inline fab handle. The other items are low hanging fruit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new purchase, I love my 650, glad I spent the money on one. I got the two primer upgrades from dillonupgrades.com and they are well worth it. I also use the dillon roller handle and its so much smoother when sitting for a long reloading session. Next upgrade with probably be the shell plate bearing kit.

My recommendations:

Spent primer chute.

Tape empty 12ga hulls under the debris outlet holes on casefeeder.

Shellplate bearing and low mass detent ball.

Done.

(Also keep a small box of resized and deprimed brass handy next to the press. Anytime something fails to run through station 1, you can insert one in station 2 after it indexes and press that waiting primer into it. Keeps you from needing any kind of chute to catch live primers.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, rustychev said:

The Mr bullet feeder is coming with the press.  The powder mesure is the same for both presses right just a differnt fail safe rod.

Yes same powder measure. You should also get the inline fab sky light kit for the 650. It is well worth the 35 bucks on eBay. I think that's the best upgrade I've bought other than low mass ball. Check out Marks 650 upgrades on eBay. He goes by snowshozzs I think. He's in Alaska and makes very good stuff plus he offers a no bs warranty on all his upgrades just like Dillon. 

11 hours ago, weldon20 said:

Check out their light

https://reloadinginnovations.com

Hopefully this isn't frowned upon by the admins, if so I apologize.

https://reloadinginnovations.com is my store.  I started development of these lights in January and opened my store to the public late March.  I back every product 100% - you don't like it, return it for a full refund.  Any questions, just use the email link on the site or message on facebook or here.

26 minutes ago, Sarge said:

It probably will be frowned upon but those both seem like great products!

Thank you - I emailed the admins last night to inquire about a vendor page.

Thank you - I emailed the admins last night to inquire about a vendor page.

I'd love to see how your powder spiller doodad works on a 650 - most of my issue is the case trying to 'leave/leave' it's pocket under centrifugal force between station 2 and 3, with the locator button pushing it back in and tossing a few flakes.

I did order your light -cleanest option with no shadows I've seen to date. And I like not having to remember to grab my flashlight off the tool head and put it back in my pocket/change batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to hijack the thread but a quick question. I'm about to join the civilized world and order a 650 as well. Will be acquiring the upgrades mentioned above. 

Question is on shipping. Is UPS / FedEx able to deliver or is freight via truck necessary? Unsure on package size / weight. Also can one man handle / install or will I need to bribe a buddy with a box of pilsners? Prob silly questions but thanks. 

1 hour ago, bubba04 said:

where are yall getting the bearing upgrade kit? Hitfactor or somewhere else?

If you do some searching here on the forums you will find the info you need to order directly from mcmaster. Heck, I probably posted it long ago but have long since forgotten the item numbers etc. You can order 2-3 sets of bearings and washers and sell what you don't use. Still cheaper.

FYI, you only need one washer per bearing. Not two like many say.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

If you do some searching here on the forums you will find the info you need to order directly from mcmaster. Heck, I probably posted it long ago but have long since forgotten the item numbers etc. You can order 2-3 sets of bearings and washers and sell what you don't use. Still cheaper.

FYI, you only need one washer per bearing. Not two like many say.

Thanks i I saw that thread. I guess I should have asked if there is an appreciable difference in the different options. Sounds like no...

3 hours ago, bubba04 said:

Thanks i I saw that thread. I guess I should have asked if there is an appreciable difference in the different options. Sounds like no...

Pretty sure they are the same brand of high quality bearings

8 hours ago, Part_time_redneck said:

Not to hijack the thread but a quick question. I'm about to join the civilized world and order a 650 as well. Will be acquiring the upgrades mentioned above. 

Question is on shipping. Is UPS / FedEx able to deliver or is freight via truck necessary? Unsure on package size / weight. Also can one man handle / install or will I need to bribe a buddy with a box of pilsners? Prob silly questions but thanks. 

Regular ground fine. I am a ups driver and it's only about 30 lbs. box is only about 18"by 2 1/2 ft on the Dillon box with the press. Case feeder is about 16x16 10lbs.