Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wst for 9mm minor

Hunter1998

Older Hornady manuals list WST. Hornady 4th edition shows 124 jacketed with WST--start 4.8-max 5.4 If you google search skills are really strong, you can still find original Winchester Load data for WST. Use this tip carefully. ....you can generally take a published load with 231 and reduce the load by .1 and  use the data for WST in 9mm

WST will perform best with 147's and coated lead. My personal favorite is 3.6-3.7 grains of WST with a 147 Bayou flat point or the Zero 147 JHP

Darrell has published several spreadsheets on this forum showing his load data with various lead bullets. Lots of excellent WST data in those sheets

I used to load WST 124gr and 147gr during the shortage a few years ago, but was told it could result in high pressure issues, so I've since switched to WSF and it works great for me. 

• 2 years later...

Memphismechanic

in australia we have run out of local powder as ADI decided to re engineer thier powders....

i have picked up some WST and shooting 9mm minor using 135 needing a pf of 125

I shoot IPSC 

any load data would be great

Taz 

Edited by Tazmaniac
More info

I'm not sure about 135's but the range for a 124gr bullet is 4.8gr - 5.4gr of WST. I've tested a 147gr bullet (thick plated) with 3.6gr - 4.0gr of WST (3.8gr = 130 PF). So that should put your approximate testing range at 3.8gr - 4.4gr with a 135gr bullet.

Edited by 4n2t0

Made it fine at a couple of area matches at 130+

Honestly was very surprised at the amounts you stated.

But I guess that's why we should all own our own chronograph's

I've got s second scale I'm going to pull out and check both side by side after supper tonight.

I leave that powder measure set up all the time.

I load 4.1 of WST for 40 , with 200 gr Bayou's and it makes 172PF in my Limited guns, so that measure never gets messed with 

other than to check it every couple of months to make sure it hasn't moved. It's always at 4.14-4.16grs with a 10 throw average. FWIW

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

Made it fine at a couple of area matches at 130+

Honestly was very surprised at the amounts you stated.

But I guess that's why we should all own our own chronograph's

I've got s second scale I'm going to pull out and check both side by side after supper tonight.

I leave that powder measure set up all the time.

I load 4.1 of WST for 40 , with 200 gr Bayou's and it makes 172PF in my Limited guns, so that measure never gets messed with 

other than to check it every couple of months to make sure it hasn't moved. It's always at 4.14-4.16grs with a 10 throw average. FWIW

What amounts very surprised you? The published data for a 124gr bullet? My chrono data of a thick plated 147gr bullet? Or the guesstimate on a range for a 135gr bullet?

I'm just surprised that it wasn't hard to make PF with an FMJ. I'll have to try it sometime.

P.S. My data was shot through a 4.12" barrel (SR9) which will make it a little slower.

When you stated 4.8-5.4 grs for a 124.

But didn't realize you were stating the "published data"

Any how it's all good and ALL OF US should be using this info with a grain of salt so to speak and starting low and working up with a chrono etc.

My guns are all 5" bbl.'s,

My wife's sig is 4 1/4 I think and it make 128 PF with the 4.1 grains of WST

Anyhow everybody should start lower and work up with any load info!!!

My old IDPA load from the 90's was same as Memphis posted.
135 gr laser cast, old school cast with lube, over 3.8 gr of WST,, OAL was in the 1.150 area IIRC. This was from a 4.25 Nowlin 1911 9mm barrel. Nowlins were a bit tight. was well over 125 pf at a couple IDPA majors chrono station.
Was just getting into pistol reloading.  Was trying to generate less smoke than TG or the old bullseye with the lubed bullets they were like shooting black powder at indoor ranges.

Avg 1054fps, ES27 SD9, PF 130,  WST 4.1grs, 124 RMR TC Jacketed, S&B spp, 1.090 

Chrono'd again today in two different 1911 9mm's 2nd one was 1 PF higher

20 rounds total in two 10 round strings, fired about 5 minutes apart.  

toggled back in forth on the string (comp elec, pro chrono)

Ran three guns over it today and just toggled back to string one to shoot the 2nd set to 10 rounds.

I checked the number between two sets and they didn't change within decimals 

Again this load has also made chrono stage at a couple of larger matches that checked ammo!

Edited by jcc7x7

• 4 weeks later...