Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MSA Sordin or Pro Ears for Small Head

BenBreeg

I was going to go passive molded ear pro this year but my ears aren't good (many years in bands) and in testing i cant always hear the beep.  Electronic custom are too much so i am going to go with Sordins or Predator Golds.  I have a smallish head.  My howard leight sports dont fit well because on the smallest sizing the cables interfere with the brackets holding the ear cups and dont allow it to set at the best angle.  Plus they give me a headache after 4-5 stages, even with Smith Aegis Echo glasses (they have flat temples for under ear pro).

Anyway, the question is whether the Sordins or the Predators are better for small noggins, or neither?

Thanks!

Small head guy reporting in,

I use the supreme pro x MSA sordins with the gel cups. I shot all 12 stages at area 6 in one day, without any headache. Some people claim they don't offer adequate noise reduction, but I've not found this to be the case shooting outdoors. 

I used the old Pro Ears non-electronic (32 db) and double plugged with the cheap foamies as even though the Pro Ears offered the highest level of protection available I still needed double plugging or I could hear some ringing in the ears after a days match shooting Open div, problem was I had a very hard time hearing the "beep" even less the range commands....So I figured I would buy the Sordin Supreme Pro X with electronics and gel cups and turn the sound down to little or nothing and double plug, I could now hear the "beep" and range commands EXCEPT the ringing in my ears after a days shooting was noticeably more than the Pro Ears and double plugging........So the Sordins sit in my safe now and I am forced to go back to the Pro Ears and double plugging and have to really try hard to hear the range commands (usually I don't hear the first time they say "Make Ready") and also hold the timer close to my ear so I hear the "beep", noticeably less ringing if any after a full days match (I like non-electronic muffs better for shooting anyhow, no batteries, plus I don't wish to hear any extraneous sounds to distract my full attention shooting, not that I did with the electronic versions as while fully concentrating shooting any sounds are at a subconscious level, but probably still happening)

Edited by race1911

3 hours ago, race1911 said:

I used the old Pro Ears non-electronic (32 db) and double plugged with the cheap foamies as even though the Pro Ears offered the highest level of protection available I still needed double plugging or I could hear some ringing in the ears after a days match shooting Open div, problem was I had a very hard time hearing the "beep" even less the range commands....So I figured I would buy the Sordin Supreme Pro X with electronics and gel cups and turn the sound down to little or nothing and double plug, I could now hear the "beep" and range commands EXCEPT the ringing in my ears after a days shooting was noticeably more than the Pro Ears and double plugging........So the Sordins sit in my safe now and I am forced to go back to the Pro Ears and double plugging and have to really try hard to hear the range commands (usually I don't hear the first time they say "Make Ready") and also hold the timer close to my ear so I hear the "beep", noticeably less ringing if any after a full days match (I like non-electronic muffs better for shooting anyhow, no batteries, plus I don't wish to hear any extraneous sounds to distract my full attention shooting, not that I did with the electronic versions as while fully concentrating shooting any sounds are at a subconscious level, but probably still happening)

Some just can't admit the sordins don't cut it. I know two different guys who bought them and sold them because they didn't reduce the noise enough. There are better and cheaper options out there for sure.

Some just can't admit the sordins don't cut it. I know two different guys who bought them and sold them because they didn't reduce the noise enough. There are better and cheaper options out there for sure.

What are your recommendations? I use cheap Caldwell electronic muffs now that are decent, but they make my ears and head sweat and give me a headache at times. I was curious about sordins but they are expensive

10 minutes ago, DKnoch said:

What are your recommendations? I use cheap Caldwell electronic muffs now that are decent, but they make my ears and head sweat and give me a headache at times. I was curious about sordins but they are expensive

Sordins are probably the most comfortable. They also have fantastic noise cancelling technology. They are also low profile. They are also used by lots of hi speed operators based on how many I see in tv shows etc. But they just don't offer the best protection for sustained use.

The electronic pro ears are extremely uncomfortable because the electronics take up all the ear cups. They crushed my ears, gave me headaches and were so heavy they hurt my neck.

The best non electric muffs I ever wore were the peltor 101's. They are only $15 and comfortable enough to shoot open all day.

The best electronics FOR ME are the peltor tactical PRO. $200, excellent electronics, great noise reduction, just as comfortable, etc.

one of the shooters I know who ditched the sordins in favor of these let me try both.

If you have legit hearing loss, you can check with your insurance company. They might pay for a pair of ESP custom electronic plugs under your hearing aid coverage. If you do get the ESPs you will never be sorry.