Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What have I done?

funstuff1415

Hey everyone,

So I got super lucky and won a spot in a 3 gun training camp with top professional as coaches. And now I'm hooked and want to pursue the shooting sports. Right now I am more interested in 3 gun rather than just one weapon platform but I'm not opposed to pistol or rifle. Not that interested in shotgun only. I live in the Dallas / Ft. Worth, Texas area. I don't have much money to invest in all this right now but I still want to get started with what I currently have. And I want to keep the momentum from the training camp before I forget what I learned. 

Any advice for local matches in my area or neighboring states of Texas?

For someone who cannot devote a lot of time and money right now, what's gonna be the best bang for my buck and the best use of my time to get into this sport and grow as a shooter quickly?

Thanks 

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to the sport as well but am in DFW and can chime in. As many will undoubtedly suggest, run what you have. Grab some cheap mag pouches and perhaps a cheap belt setup, make sure you have enough magazines and ask for help from folks at matches. North Texas Multigun is a great place to start. Everyone has been super friendly and helpful to me so far. Also, if you aren't familiar with shotguns or don't have a semi-auto shotgun yet, try shooting 2-gun for a match or two to get used to how it works, it's a nice way to ease into the sport. Good luck with getting started, it's an absolute blast!! 

5 hours ago, mushroom09 said:

run what you have.   cheap mag pouches and   belt setup,  enough magazines and ask for help from folks at matches.

Absolutely, Mushroom :)

Better NOT to invest a bunch of $$$$ until you get your feet wet.

I started 26 years ago with my Browning Hi-Power 9mm and 13 round mags ....

That's what I had, so that's what I used.

Very quickly switched to a Colt 1911 in .45 ACP - thought that was what all the "cool kids"

used.

Wish now that I had just stayed with my BHP.    :mellow:

But, 10 years ago, I bought an OPEN gun (STI TruBor 9mm Major) and LOVE it.    :wub:

Take your time, enjoy the hobby, and buy slowly.

Good luck - BTW you can get on www.uspsa.org and find out about shoots in

your area, or just contact Mushroom09.     :D

Welcome from Kentucky!  I'm just starting out as well and have been reading a TON of info on the forums.  As Mr. Jack and Mushroom has stated, pretty much run what ya brung at this point.  Just see how things go and as you progress, then you can look further into the higher dollar fancy stuff.  That's what I am doing as well.  I'm trying to keep my costs as low as possible so I can "stay in the game" so to speak.  I don't have a ton of money to spend on this and I'm just doing pistol, let alone 3 gun.  LOL!  I did make an investment and bought reloading equipment, but I figure that will help me in the long run anyway, so that is why I did it.  Welcome to the fun!

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies and great advice. This is also the first forum I've ever used. 

I like that idea of holding off on the spending and getting some experience first. I may be at a disadvantage for my first few matches but that's okay. Should still be fun. I did one beginner 2 gun match with rifle and pistol at Total Shooting Sports last month. I enjoyed that so I'll look for those matches for now. Maybe I can borrow my dads semi auto shotgun for my first 3 gun match. 

I think there are two items I really do need soon. An optic for my AR and AR mag pouch. Any suggestions?? I only have magpul pop up sights on my S&W M&P 15 Sport. I already have a rigid Velcro belt that meant as an under belt to attach a police duty belt to. Any AR mag pouches that could just slide on or clip onto that?

I hear 3 gun matches could have targets out to 500 yards. 

But I was told by a pro that a 1 to 6 power scope is popular 

for 3 gun and should cover a wide variety of distances. 

Any favorite brands or models y'all would recommend that aren't outrageously priced?

5 hours ago, funstuff1415 said:

I hear 3 gun matches have targets out to 500 yards. 

Don't know where you're from, but around here, 300 meters is the limit.

You might want to check with your local match directors and see what the

max distance is in Your Neighborhood.

Lot written here that a high quality 1-4x is better than a low quality 1-6x.    :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the advice. My dad and I had a blast at the North Texas Multigun match at Triple C Range. 

Now I know what gear I'm lacking. But can't buy it all yet. 

Ill start with pistol and AR mags and a holster for G19. Anyone have some recommendations?