Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Holder Orientation

streckjc

20 hours ago, R1_Demon said:

This is going to drive me nuts because when I was a LEO, I used to hate having my mags vertical because I felt it was much harder to facilitate a mag change versus having my mags horizontal, so I could pull them out with my left hand (I'm a right handed shooter) to the left and already have them going up and the correct way into the magwell as the spent mag was dropping to the ground.  I got very fast and very good at this without even having to look at anything.  To me, doing it vertical was awkward because no matter how I put the mag in the pouch/holder, I felt I had to turn the mag or my hand a weird way to grip it right to put it into the firearm.

So, my point is, if I was only carrying two mags for this type of thing, I would do them horizontally, however, since we normally have to carry like 5 mags, you almost can't do it horizontally (even though I'm a big...okay, fat. LOL guy) because they would be too far behind.  So, I'm stuck doing it vertically. :(  Looks like I'm going to have to be doing a LOT of practicing to try and facilitate these mag changes.  This is the only thing I'm not looking forward to and I have a feeling I'm going to be dropping a lot of mags and that is going to suck.

Anyway, to the OP, I'm new to the sport and bought Ghost 360 (4 of them) mag holders and will hold them vertical.  I don't know if I will end up eventually going to Production Div or not, but I'm starting out in Limited, so my understanding is in Limited I can put the mag holders wherever (I'm going to double check the rule book on this just to be absolutely sure), but my understanding from the rulebook (and posts above) in Production, everything has to be behind the hip bone, so not just the mag holder, but the mag itself as well, so if you cant your mags forward, the top of the mag will have to be behind the hip bone, which means the mag holder itself will have to be even further behind the hip bone.

If you're shooting Limited, put two pouches over between 12 and 2 o'clock, lay them nearly horizontal and smoke those reloads, if that's what you're used to.

I only carry two on the belt in Limited (in eight Limited matches I think I've hit the third mag twice), but if you want a couple for just in case put them more vertical over to the left.

Production, near vertical is pretty standard, maximizes the available real estate.

Being cheap, and for production wanting to be absolutely certain where that 11 round mag is I always carry my first mag in a pocket.

On 4/28/2017 at 10:42 AM, eboos said:

Single stack (same rear of hipbone rule). Running three single pouches and one double. All vertical and bullets forward. May switch to 6 singles bullets out, but not in a hurry to buy more stuff.

eboos - How does the one double, three singles work for you?  I didn't even think about that when I was buying my mag holders initially.  I ended up just buying four (I only have 5 mags right now, hoping that will get me by) Ghost 360 mag holders to hold four mags and I'll have one mag in my firearm.  However, I never thought of possibly having a double and maybe two or three singles.  Does that save any room or does the double actually take up more room than the singles would?  I'm just curious if I did actually make the proper choice.  I'm waiting on a comp belt now, so I haven't assembled anything yet, so I don't know how everything is going to go together yet.

On 4/28/2017 at 10:57 AM, Beef15 said:

If you're shooting Limited, put two pouches over between 12 and 2 o'clock, lay them nearly horizontal and smoke those reloads, if that's what you're used to.

I only carry two on the belt in Limited (in eight Limited matches I think I've hit the third mag twice), but if you want a couple for just in case put them more vertical over to the left.

Production, near vertical is pretty standard, maximizes the available real estate.

Being cheap, and for production wanting to be absolutely certain where that 11 round mag is I always carry my first mag in a pocket.

Beef15 - I was just about to crack open the rulebook again to verify if there was any special provision on where the mag holders can go in Limited.  If I don't need to have them behind the hip bone, then I'll probably do as you mentioned.  Now I only wish I would have thought about that ahead of time and bought a double pouch like I'm used to and put it near the 11 o'clock area with the opening facing 10 o'clock.  That is how I'm used to doing it.  Then I could always put a second double vertically to hold two more if I absolutely needed them or even horizontally but also faced the opening towards the 9 o'clock/10 o'clock area and could have pulled them out that way if I truly needed them.  However, I was initially thinking I was going to shoot production and people mentioned I would need 5-6 mags, so I went with 5 mags for now and four mag holders for the spare mags.  But then upon further discussion with others, it was suggested to start in Limited instead of Production so I could fill up my mags and run a bit slower to get used to the stages and how everything works and I could always change to Production later on if I really wanted to.  So, now I would have to repurchase some of my gear to truly setup for Limited if I wanted to stay there.  Sigh.  No buy once, cry once here.  LOL!

But I appreciate the tip and info.  I'll just run what I have until I see what works for me at this point and if I end up liking Limited and want to stay, then maybe I'll purchase double horizontal mags and set them up how I want them and go from there.  Then again, maybe I'll just train myself to get used to vertical and be good to go.  Who knows.  LOL!

21 hours ago, R1_Demon said:

eboos - How does the one double, three singles work for you?  I didn't even think about that when I was buying my mag holders initially.  I ended up just buying four (I only have 5 mags right now, hoping that will get me by) Ghost 360 mag holders to hold four mags and I'll have one mag in my firearm.  However, I never thought of possibly having a double and maybe two or three singles.  Does that save any room or does the double actually take up more room than the singles would?  I'm just curious if I did actually make the proper choice.  I'm waiting on a comp belt now, so I haven't assembled anything yet, so I don't know how everything is going to go together yet.

I have the double in the back, just in case I need the extra mags. Works fine, and I got it as part of a Brownells combo pack with the magazines. It takes up about the same amount of room, no real advantage other than the low cost. I will be replacing it though. I wouldn't recommend getting one, but if you already have one go for it.