Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reliability with low trigger weights Shadow?

rootacres

Just curious, I am using CZ clone and have my SA pull at 2.4 lbs and DA pull at 5.5 lbs and with the right combo I have had 100% reliability thus far. My problem is I am married to federal primers and they aren't easy to find sometimes. With similar pull weights out of a CZ Shadow am I going to be married to Feds or will I be able to use others?

Edited by rootacres

The hammer spring has little to do with the SA pull weight, the hammer and sear are the important part there; a sub-three pound SA is attainable with the factory weight hammer spring.  The DA pull on the other hand is very much dependent on the hammer spring weight, but polishing is also very important, the more you polish, the heavier spring you can run and still get a light DA pull.  For example, CGW sells hammer springs for the CZs in 8.5#, 11.5#, 13#, 15# and so on; the 8.5# is generally dependent on Federal SPP for reliability and can get DA pulls as low as 4ish pounds, the 11.5 can be reliable with Federals, Winchester, and CCI (maybe Remington too, but I've no first hand experience) and can get 5-6 pound DA pulls, the 13# can pop most everything and is capable of sub 6# DA pulls, but with lots of polishing.  Extended firing pins, reduced power firing pin springs, help with reliability as well.

I run 11.5# hammer springs in my DA CZs.

1 hour ago, mandaloin said:

I had an 11.5# spring with extended firing pin. It wasn't quite 100% reliability for me. I haven't had a single problem with 13#, even with crap Tula ammo.

Same results for me with s&b and Winchester primers.   11.5 spring was about 95%  reliable.  I put the 13lb spring in and have not looked back

11 hours ago, rootacres said:

Just curious, I am using CZ clone and have my SA pull at 2.4 lbs and DA pull at 5.5 lbs and with the right combo I have had 100% reliability thus far. My problem is I am married to federal primers and they aren't easy to find sometimes. With similar pull weights out of a CZ Shadow am I going to be married to Feds or will I be able to use others?

Are you shooting a stock 2?

I have a stock 2 with everything worked over with patriot defense and xtreme parts with 13 lb hammer spring. I also have a shadow 2 with everything worked over with czc parts with cgw 11.5 lb hammer spring. Both trigger characteristics and weight are almost identical and reliability with winchester primers are the same. 

On 4/26/2017 at 11:49 PM, Polymer said:

Are you shooting a stock 2?

I have a stock 2 with everything worked over with patriot defense and xtreme parts with 13 lb hammer spring. I also have a shadow 2 with everything worked over with czc parts with cgw 11.5 lb hammer spring. Both trigger characteristics and weight are almost identical and reliability with winchester primers are the same. 

I do, I have everything done similar/same as you. Patriot defense and xtreme parts with a 12lb hammer spring and I basically have to use feds. Winn primers in DA are probably 60-70% reliable with probably 85% ish reliable in in SA. 

So far my shadow 2 has been reliable 100% shooting Ventura munitions reloads. They said they either use ginex or cci primers. I've only shot 500 rounds but my buddy has about 1000 of the same ammo and 500 stand one armory reloads.

i have the 8.5 hammer spring with the Cajun extended firing pin and reduced firing pin spring. DA is around 4.5 and SA is around 2 on my gun.

On Sun Apr 30 2017 at 1:47 PM, rootacres said:

I do, I have everything done similar/same as you. Patriot defense and xtreme parts with a 12lb hammer spring and I basically have to use feds. Winn primers in DA are probably 60-70% reliable with probably 85% ish reliable in in SA. 

You can't compare hammer spring weights against different brands. PD springs are true weights. Other brands are not. Additionally, if you're talking about an S2, have you had your barrel reamed? A 12# PD spring should be 100% with Winns. You're gun isn't tuned properly.