Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slowest powder for 9mm major

thompsoncustom

34 minutes ago, 57K said:

Maybe not! AA#7 is very slow burning for 115s. As far as others I can think of, I wouldn't use Blue Dot and getting enough V-V 3N38 into the case might be doubtful. I once had a SPEER ballistician tell me that they had worked up 9mm loads with AA#9 and he was pleasantly surprised with the results. Like 3N38, doubtful you could get enough in the case. And, Vectan apparently doesn't make SP2 any longer. They don't show data for it at their website, anyway.

Yep till i stopped being able to get it sp2 was a good answer.

1 hour ago, kneelingatlas said:

SP2 a and 3n38 use interchangeable load data, 9.4gr under a 115 @ 1.161 makes major and is listed in the online load manual :cheers:

It doesn't get any better if you ask me!

I used this this data for the first time the other day and I have to agree. I shot five different powders, all making 170ish Pf, and the 3n38 was definitely the one. You just have to be a tad bit more patient and gentle while loading.

1 hour ago, blueeyedme said:

Personally, I like WAC for 9maj.  You will need 7.6 or so for a 115 and gas for the comp.

I wouldnt call WAC a slower powder tho when it comes to open guns. Actually its probably the fastest powder ive used in my open gun.

8 minutes ago, thompsoncustom said:

I wouldnt call WAC a slower powder tho when it comes to open guns. Actually its probably the fastest powder ive used in my open gun.

Yeah but it's still pretty good. Nice and dense so there is room in the case. Plenty of gas to work for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2017 at 0:01 PM, 57K said:

That's good news about 3N38. Anyone have any specific loads and chrono data?

I don't have much data saved but I use 3n38 for 9 major in my SV. 9.4 grains with a PD124 JHP gets me about 173-175 pf. Have tried hs-6, AA7, win 572(although I didn't test it up to major PF yet) and they all fall short to 3n38. I could try to load up some AA9 for giggles but my barrel isn't the fastest for making major super easy. 

Edited by user293

On 5/12/2017 at 8:01 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

What is it about the 3n38 that you like so much?

I like the because it's the one powder that does everything I want it to do. Dot doesn't move too much. Very predictable. Tracking is good. Feel is good. Everything about it is just right on for me. But I've only owned two open guns ever and they both had hybrid barrels with ports and all I every shot was 3n38. So maybe it's a biased thing and I'm used to the feel and. that everything else just doesn't feel right.  

1 hour ago, user293 said:

maybe it's a biased thing and I'm used to the feel & everything else doesn't feel right.  

If it "feels better", it is "better".    Thanks.     :) 

Guess my next purchase will be 3n38 ....

I just did loads with 115 PDs for the CK arms open gun I just picked up. 

9.8grs of AA#7 was still a little slow and I didn't feel like doing any other loads with it because it's so dirty. 

These are the charges and PF I got while checking I've the Chrono. I plan on running the 9.1gr if hs-6. These were all loaded at 1.165". 

8.9 hs-6. 169pf

9.1 hs-6. 173pf

7.7 AC. 170pf

7.9 AC. 175pf

On 5/12/2017 at 8:28 AM, user293 said:

I don't have much data saved but I use 3n38 for 9 major in my SV. 9.4 grains with a PD124 JHP gets me about 173-175 pf. Have tried hs-6, AA7, win 572(although I didn't test it up to major PF yet) and they all fall short to 3n38. I could try to load up some AA9 for giggles but my barrel isn't the fastest for making major super easy. 

That's a lot of powder for a 9mm case...  Do you have any trouble with it spilling out when you load?

5 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

That's a lot of powder for a 9mm case...  Do you have any trouble with it spilling out when you load?

Nah not really. Press will get messy over time but not bad. Just clean it quick every couple hundred rounds.  Any more powder though and the case doesn't sit in the bell very nice and spills more. I load on a 550 but I can turn out rounds fast enough for me. 

9 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If it "feels better", it is "better".    Thanks.     :) 

Guess my next purchase will be 3n38 ....

Worth a shot to try. If your barrel and comp setup chronos faster, you won't have to load as much powder which is nice. 

9 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

It's really full! I've been riding the index hole with my thumb to help soften the snap. It took some time to get the feel for it but it's not too bad.

IMG_5276.JPG

12 hours ago, Leadpilot said:

It's really full! I've been riding the index hole with my thumb to help soften the snap. It took some time to get the feel for it but it's not too bad.

IMG_5276.JPG

My cases are even a little more full than that. But I'm not on a 650 either. One day I will be 

12 hours ago, Leadpilot said:

IMG_5276.JPG

That's really full...  compressed load for sure...  thanks for the pic...

You guys have me thinking about trying 3n38 now...  :)