Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How exactly do the USPSA matches go?

R1_Demon

16 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Trust me, it can be done.

I had one last weekend, I miscounted my makeup shots and the last target went "bang" "click". If I had a bayonet attached to my pistol I could have poked a hole in the target. :angry:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like when you have 4 metric targets at 45 degrees to the ground, behind barrels. They are only 2 feet away, so you blaze away like mad, thinking you made a good time...then you hear "2 alpha, 1 alpha charlie, 1 alpha mike, 1 alpha mike"...

On 4/27/2017 at 7:34 PM, Eureka1911 said:

I was in basically the same boat as you. I did have some experience shooting IPSC from before there was a USPSA, but found it was like falling off a bicycle, you never forget how. I shot my first match in many years with a great group of guys. It was a large match, 7 stages with the classifier with a round count up around 25 to 36 per stage, so around 200 rounds or so for the whole deal. Just go, tell them you are new, and then go be safe and have fun. I concentrated on being safe 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Then I thought about accuracy. Speed was not part of my thought process at this point. Let the speed come.  At least that is what I am doing and having a blast doing it!! Nobody laughed while I was shooting, although some in my squad had time for lunch while I was up.!!

LOL...oh I'm sure it will be the same for me.   They will probably be able to have lunch and dinner by the time I'm done. :P LOL  But seriously, good advice and thank you.  I'm not even thinking about speed at this point.  Just get though the stages safely and not breaking any rules.  Heck, I'm not even worried that much about accuracy at this point.  it is more about learning what is going on and what I need to do during each stage.  I'll worry about the accuracy and speed way later.  I just want to make sure I know what the heck I'm doing and where I need to go during a stage before I can try and be accurate and be fast at it. :) 

On 4/28/2017 at 0:57 PM, Eureka1911 said:

The only way to make a total ass of yourself is to do something unsafe and get DQ'd. A ND would be the worst, breaking 180 second. FOcus on not doing either of those and don't worry about the rest. Go shoot and have fun. All the other stuff will come with time and practice.

I would agree there.  I'm not planning on worrying about accuracy or being fast on my first time out.  What I am watching is safety, rules and making sure I don't get DQ'd for doing anything stupid like not keeping the muzzle pointed downrange, finger out of the trigger guard when moving or doing something before the RO says to or something dumb like that.  That is the only thing I'm concentrating on at this point, besides fundamentals.  I don't even care at this point if I place last for my first match, as long as I'm not DQ'd and I know I was safe. :) 

On 4/28/2017 at 7:40 PM, GrumpyOne said:

What will embarrass you is missing that target at 2 yards.

LOL!  That is soooo gonna be me. :D I just can only hope there is no way that A ) Any of my former LEO friends are around to see it and B ) it isn't video taped so there is no way any of my former LEO friends can see it even though they weren't there.  LOL!!!!!  I can already hear and see it now because I was so worried about not breaking any rules and I miss a darn target 2 yds away.  LOL!  Ohhhhh man!

23 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

I had one last weekend, I miscounted my makeup shots and the last target went "bang" "click". If I had a bayonet attached to my pistol I could have poked a hole in the target. :angry:

LOL!!!!  I'm laughing about the bayonet, not about the missed shot.  I can just picture you stabbing the target with a bayonet and it was funny to me is all. :) My Drill Sgt would have been proud of you.  LOL 

1 hour ago, R1_Demon said:

LOL!!!!  I'm laughing about the bayonet, not about the missed shot.  I can just picture you stabbing the target with a bayonet and it was funny to me is all. :) My Drill Sgt would have been proud of you.  LOL 

Well, I do shoot Open, so I would probably be legal. Hmm, maybe a 9mm round bayonet, yeah, that's the ticket. (and coat it with carbon so it leaves a grease ring)

Edited by Bkreutz

When you get there tell the guy that seems to be running things that it's your first match. At my club they generally ask if it's anyone's first time shooting USPSA. If yes, they will pair them up with a mentor.

You'll do great, just worry about safety for your first few matches. Especially the 180. 

Will,

I appreciate the info, as with the info everyone else has given.  Unfortunately I'm not ready for this weekend.  Holster hasn't come in, reloads aren't made or tested (plus I need to get a chrono to test them) and on top of it, it is supposed to rain all day on Sunday (match day).  Just seems like it is not in the cards for me to shoot my first match this weekend.  However, that doesn't mean I'm giving up or just putting it off forever or something.  I've still been reading up a ton here and getting things ready to reload my rounds and all that.  I guess I'm the type that also tries to research stuff a ton before I take the leap and do most times as well.  Any which way, I just think that the extra time will get me even more ready for the June match.  I will have time to dry fire and practice with the holster once it comes in and all that jazz.  I just think it is the right thing to do (wait) instead of trying to push it for Sunday when things aren't ready.  More prep time never hurts. :)

24 minutes ago, R1_Demon said:

More prep time never hurts. :)

Kind of silly to go to a match with an untested gun/ammo and no holster experience -

that's a good way to get DQ'd.

Do lots of dry firing in the meantime, and get out to some practice shooting by yourself.    :) 

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Kind of silly to go to a match with an untested gun/ammo and no holster experience -

that's a good way to get DQ'd.

Do lots of dry firing in the meantime, and get out to some practice shooting by yourself.    :) 

HPJ - No, no...I wouldn't do that.  I have plenty of holster time/experience.  Just not with this particular holster/firearm combo is all.  But I understand your point and you are correct.  That would be a good way to get DQ'd if I had no experience at all.

3 hours ago, Eureka1911 said:

If the match is not too far away I strongly suggest going and watching how it all goes. Great way to get accustomed to the flow, commands, etc.

I'm sure I will go out and watch to see how things are going to go. :) Plus, it will be fun.

9 hours ago, R1_Demon said:

Will,

I appreciate the info, as with the info everyone else has given.  Unfortunately I'm not ready for this weekend.  Holster hasn't come in, reloads aren't made or tested (plus I need to get a chrono to test them) and on top of it, it is supposed to rain all day on Sunday (match day).  Just seems like it is not in the cards for me to shoot my first match this weekend.  However, that doesn't mean I'm giving up or just putting it off forever or something.  I've still been reading up a ton here and getting things ready to reload my rounds and all that.  I guess I'm the type that also tries to research stuff a ton before I take the leap and do most times as well.  Any which way, I just think that the extra time will get me even more ready for the June match.  I will have time to dry fire and practice with the holster once it comes in and all that jazz.  I just think it is the right thing to do (wait) instead of trying to push it for Sunday when things aren't ready.  More prep time never hurts. :)

You do know that Bud's Gun shop in Lexington holds matches as well? Indoor matches...

https://www.budsgunshopky.com/products/competitive-shooting-events/

9 hours ago, R1_Demon said:

HPJ - No, no...I wouldn't do that.  I have plenty of holster time/experience.  Just not with this particular holster/firearm combo is all.  But I understand your point and you are correct.  That would be a good way to get DQ'd if I had no experience at all.

I'm sure I will go out and watch to see how things are going to go. :) Plus, it will be fun.

Don't need to wait for a competition holster and new reloads fo the first match , just use whatever cheap holster and Walmart ammo you can find and give it a try.

Eric

On 5/5/2017 at 7:17 PM, GrumpyOne said:

You do know that Bud's Gun shop in Lexington holds matches as well? Indoor matches...

https://www.budsgunshopky.com/products/competitive-shooting-events/

Uhhhh...nope, I didn't know that.  I actually only went off the USPSA site to find matches, so I didn't see that Bud's had matches.  Hmmm...  I know that S and D Indoor Range has IDPA every Thursday as well, but that was all I knew.  I appreciate the info.  It doesn't say anything regarding any upcoming matches, but I can always give them a call. :)