Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How exactly do the USPSA matches go?

R1_Demon

Hey all,

I was wondering how (basic rundown, I guess) do the USPSA matches go?  I haven't done one yet, but there is one coming up on May 7th that I'm planning on shooting for the first time.  However, I have really been trying to do my best to read up on everything I can about USPSA and major and minor and all that jazz.  LOL!  I'm planning on shooting .40 Major in the Limited Division (so it was suggested to me, so I didn't have to worry about mag changes as much and such my first time out).

A few questions from my reading posts are...

I've read about being classed or classes...how do you get classed or know what class you are in your first time out?  Do they just let you shoot and then rank you in a class based on how you shoot/do?

I've heard people talk about being on a squad or squadding...who picks these?  How are they sorted?  Do you have to put together a squad yourself?  You don't all shoot at the same time, right?  Do you all shoot one right after another as a squad/team or ???  Do your scores and such get based on how well the entire squad/team does or how you do individually?  Now I'm afraid that if I tank my run it will ruin someone else's day and I realllllly don't want to do that. :(

I know that the entire match is setup in stages.  Normally how many "stages" are there in a typical match/day?  I guess, in short, how many times do you go up and shoot?  Do you shoot the same course X amounts of times per day or does the course change throughout the day so that it is different each time you go up to shoot?

I'm sure those are enough questions to drive everyone nuts for now.  LOL  Sorry.  

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing I would recommend is to contact this club and it's match director. Ask about new shooter orientation. Better USPSA Clubs will have them. Attend it. 

Enjoy, be safe.

Shooting in Limited division for your first few matches is what I would recommend also.

Typical USPSA matches have 1 classifier stage per match.  You need scores from 4 different classifiers to get your initial classification (that's 4 classifiers in the same division to be classified in that division).  You also need to be a USPSA member to get a classification.  You'll be unclassified (U) until you get your initial classification.  Don't sweat any of that.  Just get out and shoot.

Squadding depends on the match/club and how they do registration.  If a club uses Practiscore for registration, then they will typically allow competitors to pick their own squads after they register.  I'd contact the match director to ask about registration/squadding.  The MD will probably want to put you in a squad with experienced shooters/RO's to help you through your first match.  When your squad gets to a stage, each person in the squad will shoot it in a particular order, scoring and resetting the stage between each shooter.  Once everyone in your squad has shot the stage, the squad will move to the next one.

USPSA is an individual sport.  Your scores are yours alone.  Squads are just used to provide enough manpower to RO, score, and reset each stage, while getting everyone through the match.  On this note, make sure you help paste targets and reset the stages whenever you're not getting ready to shoot or loading magazines.

The number of stages will vary by match.  Typically local matches around here have between 4-7 stages, with one stage being a classifier.  You will only shoot each stage once, unless something happens to cause a re-shoot.  In the case of a re-shoot, your first score will be thrown out and your re-shoot will be your actual score.  Typically each stage is in a bay of its own.

The biggest thing is to be safe and get out and shoot.  No one is going to remember your scores, but everyone will remember if you are unsafe.  Also, bring WAY more ammo than you think you'll need.  If the match publishes a round count, bring AT LEAST double that amount.

This may also be of interest:  http://shootingsportscalendar.com/beginners-guide-to-action-pistol-shooting/

Edited by TennJeep1618

1 minute ago, Jman said:

First thing I would recommend is to contact this club and it's match director. Ask about new shooter orientation. Better USPSA Clubs will have them. Attend it. 

Enjoy, be safe.

I agree this would be your first step.

To answer your questions. 1. You will be unclassified the moment you join USPSA and will remain so until you get the chance to shoot at least 4 classifiers in the same Division (Limited). A Classifier will be a stage that USPSA has designed and set specific guidelines. This way everyone who shoots it, shoots the same set up. Without getting to heavy into the details, you are measured with all the other shooters in USPSA.

2. Squadding- This all depends on how the club works. Our home club has us sign up and pre-squad online. Our group runs 12-13 shooters in each squad and for local matches we run 6 squads.

3. How many stages all depends on the club and the size. Some clubs around here have 5. Like I said we run 6 at our club and you only run through each stage once. Now we run 6 stages with one of them being a classifier.

Our club has a new shooter class and they run classroom then two stages to get the feel of commands and how a stage run works. Most clubs are very welcoming to new shooters. Since we all were new once, the best advice I can give is listen to the Range Officer (RO) and other shooters, help paste targets, reset steel, be safe and go slow.

2 hours ago, Jman said:

Enjoy, be safe.

Will do...appreciate it. :)  I'll shoot over the questions to him and see what he says.  I just thought I'd also post them here as general questions.  I guess I'm excited to get started, but maybe I should just hold off shooting my first match until June (they are held once a month here) and just go and watch in May instead?  Even though I'm excited to get started, I'm almost starting to think that may be a better idea.

1 minute ago, R1_Demon said:

Will do...appreciate it. :)  I'll shoot over the questions to him and see what he says.  I just thought I'd also post them here as general questions.  I guess I'm excited to get started, but maybe I should just hold off shooting my first match until June (they are held once a month here) and just go and watch in May instead?  Even though I'm excited to get started, I'm almost starting to think that may be a better idea.

Not a bad plan to watch but bring your stuff. You may need it ;)

1 minute ago, R1_Demon said:

maybe I should  hold off until June

Nah, go on out in May, bring all your equipment, tell the RO you're a newbie

(they'll probably ask), and follow directions.

Shoot 10% slower than normally and watch ALL safety considerations

(the 180, trigger on finger, etc).

And, have fun ...    ;)

2 hours ago, TennJeep1618 said:

Shooting in Limited division for your first few matches is what I would recommend also.

This may also be of interest:  http://shootingsportscalendar.com/beginners-guide-to-action-pistol-shooting/

TennJeep - Thanks a bunch for the info and the link.  I do appreciate it.  I figure that a lot of information is specific to the particular location/match, but I do thank you for going over general basic ideas of the match/day.  I have read on here that one of the biggest things is to help setup/breakdown/paste/collect brass/etc when you aren't actively the next shooter or loading your own mags to shoot, so I have already put that in my head.  Not to mention, it only makes it fair and makes the day go by faster. :) 

As I mentioned, I will be asking my director these questions to see if I can get some ideas on this stuff as well, but you have given me a good overview of it and I appreciate it.  It has helped give me a better idea of things. :)

what jack above said, bring your guns, ammo and gear and definitely shoot this match.  from my experience, most people shoot their first match without first spectating a match.  and also from my experience, those who came to spectate their first match were disappointed they didn't just bring their stuff and shoot that match.  at each stage, let the RO (guy with the timer) know you're new and they will let you go last so you can see what all is going on.  show up maybe an hour early and find the match director and let him know you're new and he'll give you the run down.  really isn't that big of a deal.  go slow, don't forget your front sight, finger outside triggerguard unless you are on target, and keep the muzzle pointed downrange at all times.  good luck and have fun.

Question from another new guy...

Reading the rule book, I could have swore reading that you must engage the safety when moving between targets. Yet, I don't see this mentioned anywhere else nor do I see this happening in all the videos on YouTube I've watched.

Do you have to engage the safety when on the move?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reading the rule book, I could have swore reading that you must engage the safety when moving between targets. Yet, I don't see this mentioned anywhere else nor do I see this happening in all the videos on YouTube I've watched.

No, but some shooters do.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Mikeski said:

Our club has a new shooter class and they run classroom then two stages to get the feel of commands and how a stage run works. Most clubs are very welcoming to new shooters. Since we all were new once, the best advice I can give is listen to the Range Officer (RO) and other shooters, help paste targets, reset steel, be safe and go slow.

Mikeski - I appreciate the helpful info and tips.  I hope ours has some sort of new shooter class.  It seems as though a couple of people have mentioned this.  The only thing the DM or RO has mentioned to me thus far that I can tell is that I have to be there extra early to register as a new shooter, but that is it.  They haven't said anything about any type of new shooter class or anything.  But that would be cool if they had something like that.

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Have you done any competitive handgun shooting?

IDPA? Steel?   etc

Mr. Jack - No sir, not exactly.  I have done LEO and military qualifying and shoots and I have done special tactical training/qualifying and "fun competitive" shoots as a LEO and military, but nothing I would consider as competitive handgun shooting like how USPSA is setup.  I have run similar drills and done training on the same scenarios and drills, but not while "competing".  So, I would answer no to that question (after I just gave you a three page story about it.  LOL!)

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Nah, go on out in May, bring all your equipment, tell the RO you're a newbie

(they'll probably ask), and follow directions.

Shoot 10% slower than normally and watch ALL safety considerations

(the 180, trigger on finger, etc).

And, have fun ...    ;)

Sounds like a plan and good advice, Jack.  I don't even care if I walk the course the first time out.  Well, I guess not literally WALK it, but you know what I mean.  Just to get a feel for everything and how it goes and such.  I would MUCH rather be safe and do everything right and not be DQ'd that try and run through like a nut, miss stuff, shoot like crap and/or get DQ'd for doing something stupid just because I was trying to rush myself to try and do well.  It isn't worth it to me to be labeled as the "unsafe guy" of the group/day/match/whatever.  That's not how I roll.  Not saying I don't want to do well, I do because I'm very competitive, BUT, I'm also realistic.  I've never done this, so how can I expect to do really well at something I've never done? :)  

Again, thanks for the info and advice...from everyone.  I do appreciate it.

1 hour ago, davsco said:

what jack above said, bring your guns, ammo and gear and definitely shoot this match.  from my experience, most people shoot their first match without first spectating a match.  and also from my experience, those who came to spectate their first match were disappointed they didn't just bring their stuff and shoot that match.  at each stage, let the RO (guy with the timer) know you're new and they will let you go last so you can see what all is going on.  show up maybe an hour early and find the match director and let him know you're new and he'll give you the run down.  really isn't that big of a deal.  go slow, don't forget your front sight, finger outside triggerguard unless you are on target, and keep the muzzle pointed downrange at all times.  good luck and have fun.

Davsco - That's what I'm afraid of.  I'll show up just to spectate and be salivating and wishing I had my stuff with me to shoot.  LOL!  Or I'll bring it with me and it will be too late to register.  I know the Match Director or the Range Master said the newbies had to be there like an hour earlier to check in with them so they could designate who is new and go over everything with them (which is good!  I'm not complaining at all).  So, if I decided at the last minute that I wanted to join in, I couldn't do it.  

My "club" (I guess if that is what you call it - it is the location where they do the matches) has a private Facebook page and they were nice enough to invite me when I emailed them asking questions about shooting the match on May 7th, so they have been good about it thus far.  I haven't gotten major details except to just show up early and where it is at and that is about it at this point.  

52 minutes ago, anonymouscuban said:

37 minutes ago, TennJeep1618 said:

No, but some shooters do.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

See, I thought it said that as well, that if you had a manual safety you had to engage it while on the move and while it was holstered prior to the start of the stage.  Maybe I read it wrong as well.  I don't have a manual safety, so I didn't really worry about that part as much, but I thought I read that too.  That's why I have been asking questions here from experienced shooters. :) 

You only have to engage the safety before you start the stage.  There's too much shooting on the move to require engaging the safety during that time.

IDPA is the same as well.  The only real requirement is that you keep your finger well off the trigger while moving unless you are engaging targets.

58 minutes ago, anonymouscuban said:

4 minutes ago, R1_Demon said:

See, I thought it said that as well, that if you had a manual safety you had to engage it while on the move and while it was holstered prior to the start of the stage.  Maybe I read it wrong as well.  I don't have a manual safety, so I didn't really worry about that part as much, but I thought I read that too.  That's why I have been asking questions here from experienced shooters. :) 

Here is the rule:

8.5 Movement

8.5.1 Except when the competitor is actually aiming or shooting at targets, all movement (see Appendix A3) must be accomplished with the fingers visibly outside the trigger guard and the safety should be engaged. The handgun must be pointed in a safe direction.

I emphasized the operative words.  "Should" is not the same as "must."  

if you start with hammer cocked (ie 1911 or 2011) then safety must be applied before you holster at the start of the stage (ie, at RO's direction you make ready - load up your gun with mag and one in chamber) then click on the safety and then holster.  if you have a glock or other gun without a manual safety, then there is no safety to apply.  again just keep your trigger finger outside the trigger guard (ie indexed on the frame) while moving, while reloading, while clearing any jams, basically anytime unless you are on target and intending to fire.

again tell them at each stage you're new, and if you don't mind being coached, tell them that as well.  watch a bunch of you-tubes, just search for uspsa matches.  go slow, be safe, have fun, at least for your first couple of matches.  you have the whole rest of your life to show everyone how fast you can go.

One big thing I tell new shooters all the time is this:

-drive to range

-get out of car

-go find MD immediately!

Don't get started putting your gear on or grabbing your gun, etc.  Just go find the match director and he will instruct you on what to do next.  The "Safety Areas" in USPSA have their very own set of rules.  Just don't touch your gun until you are in a safe area or are instructed by the RO to do so.

No if you are shooting production you start with the hammer fully down and you do not have to apply the safety.

If you are shooting Limited or L10 you can start with the hammer back and the safety on.

Cool. Thanks for that. I plan on shooting Production. At least at this point.