Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 crank bearings

Only about 60K cycles on my Super 1050, and I need to replace the crank bearings.  Besides Dillon/OEM bearings, are there better options out there?  My google-fu has not turned up anything. 

Edited by GregJ
more info

When you say "better options out there" what are you looking for? I would think you are pretty much limited to the style of bearing that is in there. You might be able to buy a higher quality bearing. Timken BH-1610

Edited by icestud

IOW, are the OEM bearings from Dillon the only option, or is someone selling a higher grade bearing? Or a link to a higher grade bearing? 

There are a dozen companies out there selling various bearing upgrades, etc, etc, etc.  But I havent found anyone with anything but the OEM crankshaft bearings.  If the original bearings need to be replaced in about 60K cycles, it might worth investing in better bearings.

IOW, are the OEM bearings from Dillon the only option, or is someone selling a higher grade bearing? Or a link to a higher grade bearing? 

There are a dozen companies out there selling various bearing upgrades, etc, etc, etc.  But I havent found anyone with anything but the OEM crankshaft bearings.  If the original bearings need to be replaced in about 60K cycles, it might worth investing in better bearings.

Have you checked with these guys?

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ball-and-roller-bearings/=17drixm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Greg:

I have 350,000 round son my Super 1050 - no problem with bearings - if less than year old ask if they will repair or replace as needed.

Speak to the Tech Supervisor - Gary F.

If they will ask for a return prepaid label and a box to be sent to you.

Good luck.

Walter

I bought my super 1050 in 2013 and have as of last week produced 430,000 rounds total of pistol and rifle ammo so far without needing new bearings. Of course, now that I have said something about it, I will probably need some soon next. Grandpoobah is right about Gary at Dillon is the one to speak with, he loads with the 1050 for himself and he has been most helpful.

I went ahead and ordered a set of bearings from Dillon, they are only about $20 each.  After all said and done, I think the old bearings probably just needed cleaning and regreasing.  Anyway, I now have a spare set for next time. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2017 at 8:26 AM, mach1soldier said:

What is a sign of worn out bearings?

I was having some play/slop in the handle. Turns out the issue was the journal keyway in the crank shaft was too big.  I got a new crank shaft, key, and crank arm from Dillon, fixed the issue.