Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Swap - Do I need thinner grips or ?

I started practicing swapping out mags to get quicker. One thing I quickly noticed is that I have to adjust the pistol slightly in my right hand in order to reach the mag release button with my right thumb. I'm shooting a CZ SP-01 with the stock rubber grips.

Is it ideal to not have to adjust your grip to release the mag?

Could thinner grips help me if so?

Any other suggestions?

Oh... please move if this is not the right forum for this post.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm strictly a 2011 shooter but have the same problem with the stock magazine release.  I added a paddle style button and problem solved.

It may take a while to get used to it but in the long run well worth it.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/magazine-release-parts/magazine-releases/mag-catch-button-prod24752.aspx

Hopefully someone makes these for CZ guns.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I'd try a thinner set of grips. Otherwise I'd cut a notch in the grips for your thumb joint. I did this on some 1911s that I used to have to slightly adjust my grip on, and now I can reach it with no problem. I'm pretty sure grip modifications in Production are fair game. 

6 hours ago, resortboarder said:

I'd try a thinner set of grips. Otherwise I'd cut a notch in the grips for your thumb joint. I did this on some 1911s that I used to have to slightly adjust my grip on, and now I can reach it with no problem. I'm pretty sure grip modifications in Production are fair game. 

I don't believe you are correct in your statement about production "division" grip modification.  The definitive answer is the USPSA rule book.  Check out the appendix on production and allowed modifications. Go to USPSA.org rules to get your very own copy ?.  Other divisions are covered in there as well and mods may be allowed.

For the OP, you can replace the grips with a slimmer profile grip as long as they are available on a factory produced of the same manufacturer.  See it on CZ's all the time.

molson

Edited by molson

7 hours ago, resortboarder said:

Say whaaaat? Grip mods in production are anything but fair game.

1 hour ago, molson said:

I don't believe you are correct in your statement about production "division" grip modification.  The definitive answer is the USPSA rule book.  Check out the appendix on production and allowed modifications. Go to USPSA.org rules to get your very own copy ?.  Other divisions are covered in there as well and mods may be allowed.

For the OP, you can replace the grips with a slimmer profile grip as long as they are available on a factory produced of the same manufacturer.  See it on CZ's all the time.

molson

55 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Say whaaaat? Grip mods in production are anything but fair game.

Read the ruling for yourself. Non OFM replacement grips are allowed (that don't extend below butt, etc) and checkering, stippling and tape also allowed as long as mods don't disengage safety. Plenty you can do to grips within the rules. 

55 minutes ago, Sarge said:

IMG_5988.PNG

Edited by resortboarder

2 hours ago, resortboarder said:

Read the ruling for yourself. Non OFM replacement grips are allowed (that don't extend below butt, etc) and checkering, stippling and tape also allowed as long as mods don't disengage safety. Plenty you can do to grips within the rules. 

IMG_5988.PNG

Yeah, I guess I'll have to read the rules someday. :rolleyes: 

Oh wait, I have! There are only certain places you can stipple or tape per the app you copied. E4 specifically limits that. You cant under cut the trigger guard. You can't stipple the trigger guard. And you most certainly can NOT cut notches for your fingers. So, yes you can do a few things but for the most part, not so much. So, still not really fair game.

42 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Oh wait, I have! There are only certain places you can stipple or tape per the app you copied. E4 specifically limits that. You cant under cut the trigger guard. You can't stipple the trigger guard. And you most certainly can NOT cut notches for your fingers. So, yes you can do a few things but for the most part, not so much. So, still not really fair game.

I 100% agree about undercutting and trigger guard stippling. That's not a part of the "grip panel" that I'm talking about. Not sure how you could stipple, checker or add tape but you can't have a recess. You remove material when you checker, so I'd think you could cut a thumb notch like so many replacement grip panels offer. Since you're doing the work yourself, maybe that's what makes it a "modification."

I emailed Troy on this. We'll see what ruling he'd make. If I'm wrong then I'll happily have learned my lesson for the day. 

Edited by resortboarder

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Per Troy, "Cutting the grip panel, IMO, is not an issue, but there will be some who will want to move you to Open." I guess he meant you Sarge, unless you thought I was talking about the frame. 

Edited by resortboarder

13 minutes ago, resortboarder said:

Per Troy, "Cutting the grip panel, IMO, is not an issue, but there will be some who will want to move you to Open." I guess he meant you Sarge, unless you thought I was talking about the frame. 

I guess he does mean me because I have seen nothing that says a guy can cut a notch in a grip. His response is like many that contradict logic sometimes. You can't alter a Glock, M&P etc frame(grip) why would notching a side panel be any different?

21 Authorized modifications
(Strictly limited to these
items and their stated
guidelines)
Please note that, during a match, a shooter may be
required to demonstrate that their gun is in compliance
with Division rules by identifying a specific
rules clause or published interpretation which authorizes
any disputed modification. If the shooter cannot
identify an authorizing rules-clause or published
interpretation, the RM shall rule that the modification
is PROHIBITED for Production use and shall move
the shooter to Open Division.

22 Specifically prohibited Please note that the absence of an item in the list of
modifications and features prohibited modifications MAY NOT be construed to
mean a modification is allowed. A modification is
only allowed in Production Division if there is a rules
clause or interpretation which specifically declares
that it is allowed in the Division.

13 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I guess he does mean me because I have seen nothing that says a guy can cut a notch in a grip. His response is like many that contradict logic sometimes. You can't alter a Glock, M&P etc frame(grip) why would notching a side panel be any different?

Because you can get grips made with notches cut and no notches. I see nothing wrong with his logic regarding grip alterations. It's the same as changing back and front straps.

22.2 is talking about the frame. Not the grip.

Edited by SlvrDragon50

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

22 Specifically prohibited Please note that the absence of an item in the list of
modifications and features prohibited modifications MAY NOT be construed to
mean a modification is allowed. A modification is
only allowed in Production Division if there is a rules
clause or interpretation which specifically declares
that it is allowed in the Division.

Key word, "modification."

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

22.2 Grips – any addition or removal of material which changes the factory profile

or adds function such as beavertail or thumb rest.

Key term, "factory profile." Neither are relevant to what I proposed. no function was added. 

2 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Because you can get grips made with notches cut and no notches. I see nothing wrong with his logic regarding grip alterations. It's the same as changing back and front straps.

I agree.

Edited by resortboarder

Interesting debate. I read through the rules and the post. My conclusion is that if I swap out the grips to another set that has the same profile as the factory grips I should be ok.

I'm gonna practice some more with the stock grips to see if i can tune my technique some.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely change grip panels.

I run the SSI Scales 2.0 grips on my Tanfoglio. With the factory grips - which are contoured much like yours - I had to flip the pistol in my hand in order to thumb the mag catch.

It's an easy reach without shifting my grip, now. Only the bottom 2/3s of the Scales grips have an outward bulge:

IMG_2376.JPG.98839dfe99c8bc0fd552b3a21391c5f1.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG.9acc4dba543233d4c8d4e865f30083cb.JPG

And "mag swap" is an unconventional phrase, just so you're aware. If you call it a reload or a mag change you'll give everyone around here a better idea what you're referring to. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I always took that rule at face value (no grip panel mods in SS) just to stay on the safe side of the rules.  That said,  I have worn a noticeable, deep groove into the (rubber) left grip panel on my 1911 from constant mag changes (and have the matching callus on my right thumb from all the rubbing...).  I've often wondered if an RO/MD would call me out for that since its no longer in its stock profile and one might assume I did it intentionally..