Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Infinity Signature SS Grip

cbrussell

I want to replace my SVI Infinity plastic grip with a SS Signature grip. I am undecided what texture Imshould get or whether I should opt for the skater tape grip. For reference, I inletted an EGW checkered metal insert on the front strap and under the trigger guard. I never felt my hands were tender but at the same time I don't want them to bleed shooting a match. I have never used the skate board tape on any gun but am open to it. Any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks

DO NOT get the aggressive micro pockets.  Personally, I would go with grip tape.  Yes it's a little more trouble because you have to replace it from time to time, but it's also the most versatile.  You can choose between 60 and 120 grit and the sky is the limit on colors and designs.  

I really like the aggressive micro pockets, but it can be a a little much for some people. I have a smooth grip with tape as well, and it is nice to be able to choose how aggressive you want it to be. If you're not sure which way to go, you can't go wrong with the smooth grip.

4 hours ago, cbrussell said:

Are the metal grips cut for a thumb shield installation? 

No, the grip will need to be cut for thumbshields.

I have had the tactical, aggressive, and the skate tape.... I like them all and they are all really good for different applications. This weekend at area 6 I was glad my IMM had the aggressive during the rain. The tactical is the best for dryfire and a practice gun... the skate tape is good because it is adjustable by simply changing or replacing the tape. 

I have had the tactical, aggressive, and the skate tape.... I like them all and they are all really good for different applications. This weekend at area 6 I was glad my IMM had the aggressive during the rain. The tactical is the best for dryfire and a practice gun... the skate tape is good because it is adjustable by simply changing or replacing the tape. 

Well said.

A different way to look at it is... if you like to be able to squirm your grip around then the tactical is the way to go. If you don't squirm and like the ugliness of skater tape, well, have it. If you don't squirm and want something that won't make you bleed and looks great then get the toned down aggressive with möbius cutout.

:-)

I am in the desert southwest, so moisture is not a major problem like in the humid states.  The heat does cause sweating but I have never had an issue with the skate tape. 

The micro pockets are nice, I know some people stone them down a little to make them a little less aggressive.

Kind of pick your poison type situation. 

I tried the aggressive grips -too sharp and I cannot move my hand position. Then I bead blasted them smoother - too slippery as the surface area between the spikes is too large.

Then I added epoxy and 60 grit silicon Carbide grit - just perfect. I can now alter a bad grip position and also not slip once I apply any form of pressure.

I have the standard micro pockets enhanced grip on one pistol and the Phoenix trinity evo on another, I prefer the more aggressive evo grip. I feel the infinity grip moves around too much as its honestly pretty smooth. It's enough of a difference that I will most likely be changing grips soon.

I went with the tactical micro on my Sv build. Brandon sent me 3 samples. One of each. Standard tactical and evil bubbles. I agree aggressive is to much standard not enough but the tactical was really nice. It was a combo of both and was aggressive but not cut you aggressive. 

Tactical Micropockets was the Goldilocks grip for me. I prefer it greatly to the standard or the aggressive.

A lot of guys consider blood and scrapes from the aggressive a badge of honor. I prefer to grip my guns so the Tactical seems to be good for that.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, cbrussell said:

Now I am down to the tactical micropockets or skate board tape. Having trouble deciding. Any thoughts?

I used skate board tape on my edge for years. It's going to be my backup to my Sv in couple months. I went with the tactical. I really liked it and I found it way better than the tape. You won't be disappointed in either one but for me the tactical just felt awesome. 

I got mine a couple of weeks ago for my Trubor. I got the stainless aggressive texture and have no regrets at all. Yes, it is a bit sharp, but I've shot it quite a bit and it is great. I also got the non pivoting grip safety to go along with it. 

Now that I have decided on the tactical micro-pockets, what magwell is recommmeded? Regular or XL, relief cut, aluminum or stainless steel. I am leaning towards stainless steel to match the grip but what size and should I get the relief cut?

Thanks for the help.

On 4/26/2017 at 2:06 AM, jim vaughan said:

I tried the aggressive grips -too sharp and I cannot move my hand position. Then I bead blasted them smoother - too slippery as the surface area between the spikes is too large.

Then I added epoxy and 60 grit silicon Carbide grit - just perfect. I can now alter a bad grip position and also not slip once I apply any form of pressure.

You applied it directly to the grip? How long does the epoxied grip last you? And how do you reapply it after only certain parts of the grip get worn out of the silicon carbide?  

I asked this question several months back. I took advantage of SV's customer service and had them ship me a sample of each of the grips; they were all in the raw. Initially,  in my initial build, I went with the tactical grip, but after trying it, I realized that it doesn't offer enough traction with how I torqued down on the grip, even indoors with dry hands. And then, like others have said, I found the aggressive micro pockets too sharp. I ended up changing my build to have the 60 grit skater tape.  However, when I receive my gun, I will use the skater terrain grip tape as a template to make my own with 36 grit silicon carbide.