Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Baseline shot card...input needed

buckyjames1

Decided to start from the beginning and developed a basic shot card to get statistics and better track progress.

The intent is to gather data for beginner/intermediate shooter oriented skills.

I would like to keep it fairly simple, are there some simple standard type drills that are not on the baseline card?

*Yeah Bill Drill and El Prez are what I would consider higher skilled but they seem to incoroporate all aspects of the basics hence, why I put them at the end of the session.

*No movement drills, that will be on yet another developed card

*trying to keep the session around 150-200rds, This would enable me to do twice. I have learned that once I reach around the 400rd mark, I begin to drop off performance and easily go into "Just sending rounds downrange'" mode,which I am trying to avoid. 

Edit: One more thing, is there a standard or general accepted name for these drills? That way I begin to learn and use standardized verbiage as well?

Comments welcome

Baselines.docx

Edited by buckyjames1

A couple of points I think are worth mentioning.  Shoot paper if possible, unless you have A zone size steel, as it's easy to fall in the trap of just shooting to hit rather than shooting for alphas.

Change up your start position, surrender starts are worth practicing but most matches won't have you starting that way on every stage (or at least that has been my experience in IPSC).  There are plenty of different options, hands at sides, hands on marks on wall or table, gun and/or mags on table etc.

Load your mags up, you can practice all you want with them downloaded, but there is a big difference in weight and force needed to seat a mag at division capacity than one with only 6 rounds.  Unless you want to work on slide lock reloads, in which case down load the first mag and reload to a full one.

Lastly, I would change your drill number 5 to Four Aces.  Instead of 1 shot and reload. Draw, shoot two alphas, reload and shoot two more.

thanks for input,

- I like the loaded mags idea vs. only enough for evolution, this would also allow for misfires/jams or misses as well. I think its better to complete the drill as opposed to running out of ammo and would provide the feedback that misses matter. It would also reduce the evolution's over all time to complete. Usually when I do sustainment training at local range, there are 3-4 people in the class.

- I think I will just add the 4 aces drill to make it 8 drills.