Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eight shooters not much help at Area 6 match

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried to shoot revolver at A6 but was told that because only eight shooters were registered, it would not be a recognized division. They asked us to join L10 but two rounds at a Level III match is big so many of us switched to other divisions. PCC for me.

Besides, the major/minor scoring thing in L-10 helps to make that decision ! ! ! :huh:

The thing I was really talking about was the eight shot rule has not done much of anything to help in drawing more revolver shooters to the bigger matches.

Not saying it was a bad rule, but just the numbers of shooters in the bigger matches haven't improved.

Hop

Besides, the major/minor scoring thing in L-10 helps to make that decision ! ! ! :huh:

The thing I was really talking about was the eight shot rule has not done much of anything to help in drawing more revolver shooters to the bigger matches.

Not saying it was a bad rule, but just the numbers of shooters in the bigger matches haven't improved.

Hop

The problem is the number of shooters required to recognise the division, not the number of holes in the cylinder. How many of us here have moved to a different division looking for competition? I'm currently shooting production.

Revolver will never be a large division, but area matches should be a place where we can meet up for some more competition than most of us get at our local matches. The number of stories I see here about match directors emailing Revo shooters to change divisions indicates to me there is a problem. Is the 20 dollar plaque really that much of a burden to a level III match? If it's perceived as an easy win, then come play with us and compete in Revo division to collect your plaque.

You want me to shoot revolvers at more matches? The division needs to be recognised when I get there.

Another opinion, I suppose some would say a "red dot" would give you an advantage? My eyesight wants/needs the "red dot" versus the open sight (even with the fiber optic version). USPSA likes their "rules" which are supposed to level the field???. In ICORE I must shoot "open" because of the "dot". There are many more USPSA match's in my area than ICORE match's that I don't shoot because I'd be in the "open" class...... Remove the "red dot" ban and you would see many more revolver's at a USPSA match...... IF there is an advantage the "Boys" would soon have "red dots" on their revo's.....AND you will see more revolver shooter's in USPSA. HA!!!! .... Call it carry optics revolver?, what's another class in USPSA????... They do it all the time..

26 minutes ago, mike NM said:

Another opinion, I suppose some would say a "red dot" would give you an advantage? My eyesight wants/needs the "red dot" versus the open sight (even with the fiber optic version). USPSA likes their "rules" which are supposed to level the field???. In ICORE I must shoot "open" because of the "dot". There are many more USPSA match's in my area than ICORE match's that I don't shoot because I'd be in the "open" class...... Remove the "red dot" ban and you would see many more revolver's at a USPSA match...... IF there is an advantage the "Boys" would soon have "red dots" on their revo's.....AND you will see more revolver shooter's in USPSA. HA!!!! .... Call it carry optics revolver?, what's another class in USPSA????... They do it all the time..

If you added red dots to revolvers, around here we would go from one revolver shooter to the same revolver shooter with a red dot.  

Or you can just compare yourself with production and single stack. ICORE is usually the only place that you'll have a chance to compete with an even playing field. In the end, it boils down to self gratification. We pay to do this, I don't get paid to do it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I decided soon after I registered for Area 6 (About Dec '16 or Jan '17) to switch from Revolver to Single Stack Division. The numbers were not growing to the point that Revolver would be recognized, and the match administration advised that without at least 10 in the division Revolver Division would not be recognized. The "merger" of the Limited 10 and Revolver Divisions did not make things any better IMO, and led some of the Revolver shooters that did show up switched to a handgun more suited capacity wise to shoot in L10.  

Edited by Blueridge

On 4/23/2017 at 10:16 PM, hopalong said:

Could have put this in what I hate just as easy.

Looking at the results. . . . 

No body even bothered to shoot a revolver.  Even Limited 10 had representation.  :huh:

Hop

I was thinking about you as I was encouraging a fellow shooter to be more efficient in her stage planning at the A6 match. Said knees, etc. were not stable enough to run fast. I said to just shoot the whole time while you're moving like Hop. Hate I haven't seen you on the range in a bit. Hope all is well with you and yours.

This is why I shot a classifier match in L10, I probably wouldn't do any better shooting one of my autos if I had to switch last minute.  Maybe Indiana has more revo shooters than other states but we just had 12 shoot the state USPSA match.  Even our club matches are good for 3-6 revolvers depending on the month.

I heard like 16 signed up and they still would not recognize Revolver I think I'm going to email HQ and ask how this can be allowed to happen after I do some searching around for more info. If it's a level 2 or 3 they should have to allow all divisions regardless of numbers unless is a nationals

On 4/24/2017 at 1:01 PM, hopalong said:

I used to drag out my 6 shot minor speedloader revolver to help the numbers sometimes. No longer. :angry:

11 hours ago, deerassassin22 said:

I heard like 16 signed up and they still would not recognize Revolver I think I'm going to email HQ and ask how this can be allowed to happen after I do some searching around for more info. If it's a level 2 or 3 they should have to allow all divisions regardless of numbers unless is a nationals

That seems pretty unlikely.

On 4/26/2017 at 9:23 AM, Alaskan454 said:

16 hours ago, Alaskan454 said:

That's just ridiculous, it's only 10 shooters for recognized divisions.  I'd rather shoot in Rev and not be recognized for awards than be forced into L10.

I shot Area 6 in 2016, and there were 11 revolver shooters that shot the match. Unfortunately two of them did not pass chronograph, and thus did not count as shooting the match. A comment was made that not enough revolver shooters had shot the match, but they still awarded a plaque and made it sound like it was a hardship to do that.

I was not happy about that, but I chalked it up to being a one time thing. The 2017 match came around, and it felt like the same attitude was in effect. The match director changed as it got close to the match dates. and I think the new one had a better attitude, but decisions had already been made to merge Revolver and Limited-10. 

On 4/24/2017 at 1:01 PM, hopalong said:

Hop

I understand the revolver being a small division and all, but what may be billed as the largest USPSA match in the country did not bring in enough round gunners to establish a division just kind of takes me by surprise. 

Now, with that being said . I have a tendency to agree with Hops statement above. I know for me when USPSA adopted the 8 shot revos, myself along with a handful others in our area promptly sold our customized 625's and just wrote revo's off. For us it was not our main Division , but we did enjoy shooting the round guns from time to time. Enough to put a suitable rig together to compete. But, investing another 1200 to 2500 in round gun stuff for a sometime enjoyable division to shoot in crossed the line for me. Not to mention the loss in value with our custom 625's  as only USPSA shooters valued there custom features.

Can anyone report revolver growing in their area due to 8 shot cylinders allowed? My surrounding area may just be unique in this.