Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eight shooters not much help at Area 6 match

2 hours ago, mwx40x40 said:

I understand the revolver being a small division and all, but what may be billed as the largest USPSA match in the country did not bring in enough round gunners to establish a division just kind of takes me by surprise. 

Now, with that being said . I have a tendency to agree with Hops statement above. I know for me when USPSA adopted the 8 shot revos, myself along with a handful others in our area promptly sold our customized 625's and just wrote revo's off. For us it was not our main Division , but we did enjoy shooting the round guns from time to time. Enough to put a suitable rig together to compete. But, investing another 1200 to 2500 in round gun stuff for a sometime enjoyable division to shoot in crossed the line for me. Not to mention the loss in value with our custom 625's  as only USPSA shooters valued there custom features.

Can anyone report revolver growing in their area due to 8 shot cylinders allowed? My surrounding area may just be unique in this. 

I still have one,and wish I'd sold it too.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, mwx40x40 said:

I understand the revolver being a small division and all, but what may be billed as the largest USPSA match in the country did not bring in enough round gunners to establish a division just kind of takes me by surprise. 

Now, with that being said . I have a tendency to agree with Hops statement above. I know for me when USPSA adopted the 8 shot revos, myself along with a handful others in our area promptly sold our customized 625's and just wrote revo's off. For us it was not our main Division , but we did enjoy shooting the round guns from time to time. Enough to put a suitable rig together to compete. But, investing another 1200 to 2500 in round gun stuff for a sometime enjoyable division to shoot in crossed the line for me. Not to mention the loss in value with our custom 625's  as only USPSA shooters valued there custom features.

Can anyone report revolver growing in their area due to 8 shot cylinders allowed? My surrounding area may just be unique in this. 

I'd really like to see division participation numbers by area or state, does anyone know if USPSA publishes that kind of information?

I don't think it should matter level 2 and 3 should always include all divisions regardless of how many.  I paid my membership dues and match fees if a club finds it to hard for an extra plaque or 2 that's pretty sad.  We have added open light and rifle to USPSA why not support a division that's not an equipment race. Oh wait because it don't raise money for gun and equipment companies

Edited by deerassassin22

On 5/4/2017 at 1:26 PM, Blueridge said:

I shot Area 6 in 2016, and there were 11 revolver shooters that shot the match. Unfortunately two of them did not pass chronograph, and thus did not count as shooting the match. A comment was made that not enough revolver shooters had shot the match, but they still awarded a plaque and made it sound like it was a hardship to do that.

I was not happy about that, but I chalked it up to being a one time thing. The 2017 match came around, and it felt like the same attitude was in effect. The match director changed as it got close to the match dates. and I think the new one had a better attitude, but decisions had already been made to merge Revolver and Limited-10. 

Not passing the chrono has no effect on shooting the match they just can't allow any points for hits.  To do otherwise is against USPSA rules.

On 5/7/2017 at 5:47 PM, pskys2 said:

Not passing the chrono has no effect on shooting the match they just can't allow any points for hits.  To do otherwise is against USPSA rules.

I was advised by Peter Oliver (the match director in the 2016 Area 6 match) that the two revolver shooters that went sub-minor do not count for match recognition, per page 73 (#40) in the rule book and thus do not count as competing in the match as required for recognition per Appendix 2. There were originally 11 revolver competitors at the start of the match, and when two went sub-minor the official number dropped to 9 which was below the 10 required to recognize the division. That was what I was advised when I asked him.

I was advised by Peter Oliver (the match director in the 2016 Area 6 match) that the two revolver shooters that went sub-minor do not count for match recognition, per page 73 (#40) in the rule book and thus do not count as competing in the match as required for recognition per Appendix 2. There were originally 11 revolver competitors at the start of the match, and when two went sub-minor the official number dropped to 9 which was below the 10 required to recognize the division. That was what I was advised when I asked him.

From appendix A2, USPSA recognition.

"Prior to the commencement of a match, the organizers must specify which
Division(s) will be recognized."

This being the case, how would losing shooters at chrono have any bearing on what divisions are recognised? The decision to recognise the division is made prior to the start of the event.

11 hours ago, PatJones said:

If I want to shoot for fun, I'll go f-around on the plate rack at the club. USPSA is a competition.

If shooting revolver at big matches isn't fun, that might be the problem lol

On 5/4/2017 at 11:41 AM, mwx40x40 said:

Seattle area is down to 2 regular shooters, but, they are damn good shooters.  My friends and I let it go

Having put on a few USPSA level II & III matches.

The match director chooses which divisions to recognize before the match starts.

The 10 participants thing is just a guideline, not verbatim.

So the point I was trying to make. And am still making is. . . .

The new rule hasn't had an effect much of all, or any on drawing more revolver shooters to the bigger matches.

not saying " l told you so" but the numbers speak for themselves!

Last Memphis Charity Challenge I had to open up to all divisions because with two months out we only had 16 revolvers signed up to shoot. 

Hop

Allen

Prior to the 8 minor rule change everyone had a 6 shot gun.  Almost every stage in my local area was/still is "4 target array" run over there "4 target array" run over here "4 target array". Everyone had the same challenge.  Now there is an equipment race.  I tried one local match with my 6 shot against another B class shooter with an 8 shot.  Every stage I was 10-15 seconds behind due to the standing reload at each array I had to do versus his shoot 8 reload on the run.  So every six shot gun is not competitive and you must have an 8 round gun to have much of a chance.  Many of the other six shot people were P.O. about having to buy another gun and rig just to keep playing round gun.  I sat out for two years and just bought a 929 in Feb. So I am  $1750 into getting two more rounds in the gun versus shooting what I already had.  Several of my friends have not come back.  They switched to other divisions.

Paul Beck

8 shot didn't kill revolver, revolver killed revolver. 8 shot minor did kill 6 shot major though.

This is the rule that boggles my mind, It's the same with production. I can make major PF with a .356 and .40 bullet, but they don't allow you it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Paul,

Are you shooting the Carolina Classic with a wheel gun I am on Saturday AM if I can get in.

But the same thing can be said about Open Light (Carry Optics) vs Open at least that's what I think makes Open more obtainable for the common person.

1 hour ago, deerassassin22 said:

I love shooting my revolver especially when I can beat bottom feeders.  I try to use Single Stack results for my division and class since not many revolvers show up to the match

So did I, but at some point I wanted to know how I'd do against better shooters, and there was no real way to know how much my equipment was or wasn't holding me back. Going to a Area match got me the chance to compete against two or three good revolver shooters. Switching divisions allows me more competition locally and going to the same Area match I can shoot against 30+ good shooters.

Does S&W sponsor any prizes/plaques, maybe for the big matches ? For $20 a plaque, they could very easily sponsor say 10 or 20 matches a year. This would grow the sport/division and they could sell more revolvers too, eh ?

I heard Ruger sends a whole bunch of swag to the Ruger rimfire matches, even 10/22s as prizes.

It typically takes more than a $20 plaque to sponsor a match. At "big" matches it's probably $500 for the lower sponsorship levels. How many revolvers would the really sell? And how much do they make on each one. I'd be they make more selling a M&P, and can sell more of them.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:57 AM, mike NM said:

Another opinion, I suppose some would say a "red dot" would give you an advantage? My eyesight wants/needs the "red dot" versus the open sight (even with the fiber optic version). USPSA likes their "rules" which are supposed to level the field???. In ICORE I must shoot "open" because of the "dot". There are many more USPSA match's in my area than ICORE match's that I don't shoot because I'd be in the "open" class...... Remove the "red dot" ban and you would see many more revolver's at a USPSA match...... IF there is an advantage the "Boys" would soon have "red dots" on their revo's.....AND you will see more revolver shooter's in USPSA. HA!!!! .... Call it carry optics revolver?, what's another class in USPSA????... They do it all the time..

Hey, at age 75 the "DOT" is a must...... No real reason to put the "dot" in another world....

Maybe it depends on the type of match? I have to wonder. S&W sponsors the PSA Shootout here in Pa. They set up displays, etc. This year they had a bunch of new guns for people to try.

In open revo the match had 79 shooters. In stock revo they had 59. Lots of us Sr shooters.

Of course, S&W pro shooters were at the top...