Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small "mystery" spring when reassembling TS

Dlister70

I was following along with a YouTube video and doing a complete tear down of the gun, cleaning things as I went along.  The sear housing was out and on the table, as well as the left safety.  The right safety was still attached to the frame.  While I had the frame turned upside down and was wiggling on the trigger to get it out, a small spring fell out onto the table.  The spring appeared to come from the right safety area.  

The left safety has a small detent spring, but as far as I can tell, the right one does not.  Is the right side supposed to have a spring too?  The TS in the YouTube video didn't have one, and the guy specifically said that side wasn't supposed to have it, but I can't see where else it the spring would have come from.  This gun has the extended safety from CZ Custom if that makes a difference..

Now that I'm putting it back together, I can't figure out where to put this spring.  Can anyone identify where this spring should go?  

Right safety shown for scale.

8 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Looks like a safety detent spring to me... what does the right side safety detent look like? Does it have the nub like the left side?

It does have a small indent in the frame on the right side that looks like it could be for helping to retain the spring.  I managed to get the spring in there, but it was a much tighter fit and more compressed than the left side.  When I wiggled the safety, the spring popped right back out, but I didn't have the sear housing in there at the time, so maybe it'd stay in place if fully assembled.

Maybe I'll just reassemble the gun without the spring, and see if the safety is behaving differently..

I haven't found an install video yet that shows a spring on the right side, but on CZ Custom's website, the part is listed as right hand or left hand spring.  

8 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

There are two springs at the rear of the sear cage of the TS, that might be one of them.

Both little springs to the rear of the sear cage are still in place.

Hmmm. The only small coil springs in the gun that I can think of are the sear housing springs, left side safety detent spring, and extractor spring. Mine does not have a spring on the right safety detent and I've never seen one that does.

Brand new gun?

Ok, I put the safety and sear cage back on without the mystery spring, and there is a noticeable difference to the safety.  I think it's now acting the way a safety normally would, where I get a noticeable click when turning the safety on.  Previously, it was more of a smooth motion to turn the safety off and on, with little to no click.. it was more like it was pivoting like a teeter totter when I rocked it back and forth.

Perhaps a previous owner put the spring in the gun to make the safety easier to disengage when coming out of the holster?  I'm not sure if another spring on the right side would even make the safety easier to pivot or not, it looks more like the detent just keeps the safety from falling out, but I don't know the mechanics behind it.  I just know it feels different now than it did before I took it apart.

There is no "nub" on the right safety detent to hold the spring, so it makes sense that it's not supposed to have a spring there.  I've always just rested my thumb on the safety when I come up to shoot, and it's always disengaged smoothly.  I imagine I'd be fine without the spring too, it just feels tighter since I'm not used to it.

It's a real pain to try to get the spring in the right side without the nub to hold it, so I may just give up on it.  I think I'd have to have the right safety already installed in order to have a chance of getting the spring to stay because it keeps popping out when I put the spring in first and then install the safety.  At this point, I've probably spent an hour just looking for the spring on the floor when it goes flying off during failed install attempts.. and I don't think a slightly easier to move safety is worth all this effort.  

On 4/24/2017 at 8:18 PM, bigdave24 said:

Don't put it on the right safety detent.  It's not supposed to be there.

I left it out.  I ran the gun in a local level 1 match tonight, and it ran just fine without it.  I didn't really notice the difference in the safety on the draw during the excitement of the timer going off. :)