Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA Match - What to work on next?

DKorn

I recently shot my first USPSA match. Well, technically my second, but the first was all classifiers. I've shot IDPA for about a year and am starting to get into USPSA. Any help knowing what to work on next would be greatly appreciated. I know I had some good stages and some not so great stages. 

Looked pretty good for a first (or 2nd) effort ...  :)

Don't shoot to slide lock - that costs you time.

What's the gun ?  

One FTF isn't the end of the world, but if it continues, you can pick up

some time each match by correcting that (ammo, mags, springs, etc).   

The gun is a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm. The "jam" turned out to be me accidentally activating the thumb safety during my reload/move. 

Slide lock wasnt the plan... that stage completely fell apart.

Grip the gun harder.

Watch the beginning of the "the pleasure is all mine" stage. Your weak hand & thumb float in space while the right wrist soaks up the recoil and then the gun settles back into the left hand.

Grip the gun as hard as you can without shaking using the offhand. It doesn't have a trigger to pull, so it can be used as the vise to clamp the gun in place. Go to the range and dump a mag into a 3 yard target with your current grip. Then repeat, holding the gun in your left hand like you're trying to crush your buddies hand during a handshake.

Watch the differences in stability and sight tracking and how much less flip the gun has.

Once you're a believer, go home and train yourself to grip twice as hard with L as with R in dryfire. You'll never learn to hold it that way otherwise.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

First welcome to USPSA and second nice shooting.  Here are a couple things I saw right away.  Move with a purpose, grip hard (already said), work on transitions, It looks like you are aiming a lot which I am sure comes from IDPA, but you can get away with a fairly sloppy sight picture for the target distances we shoot.  Also don't stick you r gun into ports if you have to come back out of it.  It is slower and better chance of getting ahead of the gun and breaking the 180.