Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hiperfire 24C, Safety Selector Removal on AR-9

XD Niner

I have a Palmetto State Armory AR-9.  I installed a Hiperfire 24C trigger in it that runs 100% and is absolutely wonderful. 

I am now trying to install an ambi-safety in place of the single sided OEM unit.  I removed the grip, spring and safety selector detent.  At this point I expected to be able to remove the OEM safety selector by just sliding it out.  However, there is a rear extension on the 24C trigger assembly that is under spring pressure and rides atop the safety shaft between two shoulders.  I cocked the trigger and moved this up and completely off the selector using a screwdriver blade.   This appears to completely disengage the trigger assembly but I can only move the OEM selector about 3/32 out before it catches on something.  No amount of spinning the selector has made a difference. 

I checked visually and can't see anything that is interfering with the safety shaft but maybe I'm missing something.  I double checked the detent chamber to make sure there wasn't something else in there but it is clear.  If there had been something, I shouldn't have been able to spin the selector 360-degrees.

Am I doing something wrong?  Do I need to remove the trigger assembly? If anyone else has installed an ambi-safety with a Hiperfire 24C, did you encounter a similar issue? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by XD Niner

Remove the trigger assembly and safety comes right out. Do some reading on the Hiperfire website to make sure that your chosen ambi will work with their trigger though. Many of the ambis dont play well with the Hiperfire units...ask me how I know...

The CMMG ambi-safety is one that plays well with the Hiperfire 24 series triggers.  Its a bit of a pain that the trigger assembly needs to be removed but nice once the safety is installed.

I'm right handed but found the ambi-safety good to have on weak hand only classifiers.  Also, I find that on "make ready" its just a little simpler to flick the safety on using my trigger finger on the right side of the gun versus using the thumb on the left side of the gun.

Bill

I'm with Flatland Shooter.  I also start off with the carbine on my left side if my first shooting position will be around the left side of a wall or barricade and there is a target tucked in tight.  I find it much easier to shoot from my off shoulder than to make an awkward lean around the corner.  The ambi-safety will help then.

The weight is negligible so that's not a consideration.  The second leg weight is less than half the weight of a single round.

Edited by XD Niner

I recently installed a couple of Seekins ambi safeties on a couple AR's that have Hyperfire triggers.  I couldn't remove the original safety without removing the trigger group.  Oh well, took advantage of the opportunity to give the lower a really good cleaning, especially on the AR9...  

I find it easier to engage the safety using my trigger finger (right handed).  Plus there have been a stage or two that I started with the gun on the left side, so easier to disengage it with my left thumb using the ambi.  

Once I pulled out the Hiperfire springs, front pin and hammer assembly the OEM safety selector fell right out.  The $20 ambi-safety I bought on eBay works fine with the Hiperfire. 

Edited by XD Niner