Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock II Short Chamber?

akeefer

Hey all,

I decided to do the plunk test today. I cannot get the brass to spin until I hit 1.055". Is this normal? Also, rounds won't drop when turned upside down till I get to about this level. I have seen some posts about reaming out the chambers on these guns but don't recall for sure. 

1.055" seems to be below a lot of published minimum OAL numbers. Trying to figure out if this is normal or not normal. Or maybe I'm doing the plunk test wrong?? =( 

Thanks all!

4 hours ago, GringoBandito said:

I have found that coated bullets need to be loaded short in stock 2's but I was able to load 147GR extremes at 1.125-1.130 without a problem.

You can't paint so broadly

A 135gr BBI which mics .356 needs loaded to 1.090" in the same barrel that will take a 125gr Blue Bullet at 1.130" and that bullet is also .356 diameter.

The question is how fat the shoulder - or ogive - of the bullet is. A long pointy bullet won't stick in the rifling when loaded long. A short fat bullet of the same weight will require you to load shorter in order to clear those rifling lands in the exact same barrel.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

47 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You can't paint so broadly

A 135gr BBI which mics .356 needs loaded to 1.090" in the same barrel that will take a 125gr Blue Bullet at 1.130" and that bullet is also .356 diameter.

The question is how fat the shoulder - or ogive - of the bullet is. A long pointy bullet won't stick in the rifling when loaded long. A short fat bullet of the same weight will require you to load shorter in order to clear those rifling lands in the exact same barrel.

I'll be more specific...When loading BBI and Blue bullet 147 GR 9MM's, I had to load between 1.090 - 1.110..but I was able to load 147GR extremes at 1.125-1.130 without a problem..Lol

Akeefer, normal.

But, not correct. You can buy bullets that are narrower ogive, get it reamed or just load short.

I loaded 135gr bayou at 1.060 for a year. Drawback is much less process margin before over pressure.

I Ended up with reamed chambers and better ogive bullets.