Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate double feed

gianmarko

recently my CM developed this funny quirk. i get a double feed, where one round is partially chambered and one is stuck under it

ok, Angus pointed out to me that only rifles double feed, but lets call it this way :-)

racking the slide wont clear the malfunction. mag will not drop on its weight, it needs to be pulled then jam will be cleared, but 4-5 seconds are gone...

unfortunately due to Murphy effect i get this malfunction only during matches so i dont linger there analyzing the problem, but im pretty positive both rounds are live.

i initially blamed a somewhat worn and beat up 20 rds magazine  (with CZC pads, springs and followers) , but then yesterday i got my third doublefeed in the same match with a brand new  unmodified 26rds mag.

a friend insists that i need to polish the slide bottom, but im not going to remove material there, plus i cant see any evident damage requiring polishing.

it always happen at the 1st or 2nd shot, so with mag full, therefore a weak spring doesnt seem plausible

so i thought would be good to ask to this knowledgeable crowd what could be the problem

next weekend big match in germany but i still dont have paperwork to travel with my CM n.2

thanks to anyone who would like to comment

PS: and for those who claim that some other 3 letters guns are better, yesterday a guy shooting the match had his xxx gun fall apart midstage. he walked out with frame and slide in separate hands :D

the CM might break the slide lock, or the barrel, but will finish the stage.

i managed to get a somewhat blurry picture of the malfunction

after watching the videos, im not 100% sure about the same malfunction with a new unmodded mag, could have been a nosedive, i had 26 rounds in the mag plus one in chamber.

doublefeed.jpg

1 hour ago, PRanta said:

My advise is same as your friends, polish the slide bottom and breech face corner.

im not so sure. there is zero chance that the slide can pick up a round and drag another underneath. the magazine wont allow that. i have carefully checked.

i have spent some time trying to reproduce the problem in the shop. only way something like this happens is that the slides picks up a round and push it until it is released by the mag lips but before extractor is engaged. there is a window of perhaps 2mm so that can happen. but then the slide would have to move back again to pick up another round. unlikely

the only option i can think of is that as the slide hits the back stop a round pops out of the mag lips and then the slide picks up a second.

or some other mechanism that i cannot imagine

limp wrist can be also ruled out.

ill try to reproduce the issue at the range with live ammo...

the funny thing is that i had it happening with a minimum of 2 different mags

2 hours ago, gianmarko said:

im not so sure. there is zero chance that the slide can pick up a round and drag another underneath. the magazine wont allow that. i have carefully checked.

Polish the rib on the slide and chamfer the bottom edge of the breech face. 

Mine tries to nose dive if the mags are fully loaded. The rim of the top bullet is catching on the one below it and dragging it into the ramp. If I down load them by one or two depending on the mag they run perfectly. Of course mine have new followers and springs so they just need to be left loaded for a few days for the springs to fully set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Mine had feeding problems when I put the mag release button on the right, because the mag release notches in the magazine tubes are staggered for reasons unbeknownst.

After returning the mag release button to the left, Veronika II, as my CzechMate is known, started feeding reliably again.

little update

i have replaced all mag tubes and replaced the extractor, which showed signs of wear on the front face. dont think the extractor was the culprit but while i was at it i did the replacement.

last weekend the gun worked flawlessly. unfortunately the 200 pounds gorilla behind it did not, so match result was somewhat disappointing

a scoring error (2 stages times were swapped) gave me a stage win with a totally unreal time :D firmly in the miracle field, and nobody seemed to notice. i was kicked at the bottom of the other stage though, so probably end result was the same