Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

another 929

valerko

So I got 929 , what next ?

new to revolvers and just gonna shoot it at local matches . What to get , on the budget ? Don't wanna spend money on serious revolver gear , because I'm not even sure if and how long ill stick to it . Have absolute 0 revolver competition gear.

Blade-Tech makes a holster that won't break the bank. The North Mountain 4-post moon clip holder is pretty popular as well. If you already have a competition belt or a thick concealed carry type belt you can use that with both these. Get a few more of the standard moon clips (if they work with your favorite 9mm ammo) and a BMT moon clip loader/unloader and you should be in business. Oh, and be sure to ditch the end cap and compensator before you head out to the range. Hope you enjoy competing in revolver division. Visit the USPSA website to find local, state, area and national matches.

both my 929's came with horrible gritty trigger pulls.  Polish the heck out of that rebound bar and the surfaces it slides on.  Once the rebound bar moves more freely, you can go to a reduced power rebound spring (I run a Wolf 11lbs).  You can get a reduced power main spring from Wolf too that will still reliably fire most brands of primers if you set the trigger pull to ~8lbs.  It will make a vast improvement on your trigger pull.  You can get a full trigger job done by a gunsmith, but this will get you over half way there for minimal costs.

Edited by VanMan1961

I bought mine in Feb.  Gun $1100 out the door.  Holster and moonclip carrier from Shooters Conn, CR Speed and North Mountain 4 post.  30 moonclips from TK Custom and his loading and unloading tools.  Totaled $1650.  I had a Hogue extended cylinder release and grips as I do not like the grips with the gun. 

As suggested above do the polishing on the rebound slide and contact surfaces, change the rebound spring and use a lighter main spring. 

Chamfer the cylinder.  I used a 45 degree counter sink tool chucked in the drill press and turned by hand to cut slowly.  Took three hands, one to apply pressure to handle, one to turn chuck, and one to hold cylinder.  Afterwards remove the extractor and break the edge of the charge holes with a Dremel as those sharp edges will hang a cartridge on the way in. 

Sort your brass and buy moonclips to match.  I use Win. as I had the most of it versus Fed.  I use 147 gr roundnose from Blue Bullets and 4.2 gr of WSF to make 135-140 pf with no extraction problems.  You can use a faster powder like TG but I am after ease of extraction in stead of lower cost.  Cases fall out with a tap from my weak hand thumb.  No holes in the palm from sticky cases.

I'm not saying this is THE WAY just how I did mine, YMMV.

Paul Beck

I get my moon clips at CED USA. Stainless .040" that'll make almost any ammo fire reliably.

Their in PA.

The BMT loader is a must if your going to keep the revolver, but a cut pc of copper pipe will also work until you make a decision.

Search the google and you'll find the plans on how to make it.

Loading and unloading moon clips is a pain in the ass and a good tool will make your life easier.

You really don't need a holster or Bat Belt to see if you'll like the pistol or not.

Just shoot it and go from there.

Thanks, I have an unloading tool that came with my Chiappa Rhino and works pretty well on 929 clips as well.  i'm gonna order bladetech holster for now . Just debating between North Mountain and Speed e rack 

As far as the moonclip holders go.

Both are great. Made by two very nice people who do very much for the sport.

North Mountain is made by Bob Perdue.

His is what I shoot (back when I shot a bunch). The advantage of his is all the moonclips are in the same general spot on your body. So you can go the same place for reloads. The only disadvantage to them is the two on top of each other. Sometimes you will grab two moonclips when , you only need one.

Speedy racks at made by Elliot Eissen.

He and Jerry have been shooting together for a very long time and are very good friends.

His keeps a single moon on each post. You don't accidentally get two moonclips with it, but you have to work all the way around your torso when you get into a high roundcount stage.

Both are fine. Either will be a great choice.

Hopalong.

James Austin Moon Clip Server is always overlooked. I think it is one of the best designs out there. One place and one place only do you have to reach for a moon clip. No looking down to see which post has moon clips on them. The next moon clip will always be in the same place. This will leave your eyes something  better to do such as to look where you are running to. It can be set up to serve your moon clips on the left or right.

Con for this type of holder is that it is the worst for off the table loading but you can solve that by adding 2 single North Mountian moon clip holders to your rig. I have mine placed just to the left and they work great for picking moon clips off the table to load on your belt.

All are excellent choices and each one has its pros and cons. Whichever one you chose only practice will make it work the best for you.

Revolver Supply can take care of all your needs when it comes to moon clips and accessories.  I made my de-mooning tool out of a golf club handle...works great and saved myself some money.  An action job would be money well spent and Blade-Tech makes a good holster.  Good Luck with your new 929.

I did think about mentioning James s moonclip server, but he said only the speedy rack, and the north mountain.

Do take a look at the moonclip server. Another good product from another good guy that is good to, and for the sport.

Hop

I've started playing in IPSC Revolver division now that they allow 6+ minor.  Here's my kit I brought along to qualifier last weekend.

Found a tool organizer that fits my loaded moon clips perfectly (also fits loaded moon clips for my 625 & 610).  BMT Mooner tool to load up all my moon clips the night before a match, and makes demooning a breeze the day after.  Moon clips were from Revolver Supply co (.035) and they run fine with mixed brass.  Also picked up a moon clip checker (bottom right) from them also.  That`s very handy as I had a bent moon clip cost me ~10 seconds on a stage once.  I got the pill cases from a local drug store, they just happen to fit 10 moon clips perfectly. I pack a demooning tool as well, just in case.  Can't remember where I got this one, but Revolver Supply co has something similar.

P4260010a.thumb.JPG.53dde3abd6e4f312d3e8d944396e3032.JPG

Here's the make/model of the tool organizer

P4260012a.thumb.JPG.2951dec18aff2e68182ff42e8c306f76.JPG

you have great tastes in guns!  I have been competing with my Grand Power X-Calibur in IPSC/USPSA for ~3 years now.  Just loving that gun, but there's not much tinkering allowed in Production div, so I started playing with revolvers.  For my main competition 929, I've done a home trigger job with reduced power main & rebound springs, Hogue G10 grips, Hogue extended cylinder release, Dawson firbre optic front sight, and Apex hammer.  It fires federal primed reloads very reliably at ~5lbs, but I have it set to 6lbs anyhow. 

For my backup 929, I've only done the trigger job with reduced power main & rebound spring and Hogue G10 grips.  I prefer the big blocky iron sights for accuracy and bulls-eye shooting.

It sounds like you were lucky in getting a 929 with a decent trigger.  Both mine were horrible straight out of the factory.  ~11-12lbs DA pull, and VERY gritty.  I left the backup 929's trigger stock for a while, just to show my friends the difference a little trigger work would make.  They were all astounded in how much better my competition 929 trigger was.  Now they are asking me to work on their 929's & 627's lol.

P4260008a.JPG

Edited by VanMan1961

I went with the Double Alpha Race Master holster.  With the N frame insert, it fit my 610, 625 and 929's regardless of barrel length.  It feels very secure, especially when locked, and it eliminates holster wear on the barrel or frame.  It's legal for IPSC and USPSA too :)

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:25 PM, 2c5s said:

I would go over the revolver with a fine tooth comb just to make sure it was built correctly. Just my .02

This is great advice. After the all the troubles I had with my 686, I decided to have a pistol smith evaluate my 929 before I shot it. My 929 was actually ok as form/fit/finish is concerned.

17 hours ago, VanMan1961 said:

It sounds like you were lucky in getting a 929 with a decent trigger.  Both mine were horrible straight out of the factory.  ~11-12lbs DA pull, and VERY gritty.  I left the backup 929's trigger stock for a while, just to show my friends the difference a little trigger work would make.  They were all astounded in how much better my competition 929 trigger was.  Now they are asking me to work on their 929's & 627's lol.

I measured my DA trigger at 14.5 pounds out of the box. I have it down to 7.5 pounds, an obvious huge improvement.

I love the gun, have most of the add-ons others have mentioned (Hogue cyl latch, big butts), plus I had other work performed by the pistol smith so it is easy to have $1800.00 into the gun not including moons/moon tools, belt/holster/moon clip holders, optics and misc. Not exactly what I call a "budget" gun.

I installed a dawson FO red sight on the front after I got my 929 and just installed an LPA TXT rear sight with green tubes.

One of the best improvements I've done to my 929. Now all of my comp pistols have red front and green rear FO sights.

I think LPA sells it as a set now and while it's expensive, it's well worth it if your going to keep the pistol.

The front sight will need to be drilled.

S&W really F'D up by not offering the 929 with the push in type of front sight on this performance center pistol !