Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching divisions

ckfarris

How often do you guys find yourselves changing divisions? Do you decide what division you will shoot and stick with it for an entire year or longer?

The reason I ask is I have a nice production set up, limited set up, and now carry Optics set up that I enjoy shooting. I find myself at my monthly matches just kind of making the decision that morning which one I'm going to shoot. I know I will probably never get as good as I could be by jumping divisions every time out but I just am curious on your thoughts about it.

Production and carry Optics are the same platform with a Glock but my limited setup is a 2011 if that matters.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot steel challenge, uspsa and 3 gun Nation. Do I make sure to shoot my .40 and one of 9mm every first and third Sunday at steel challenge. Uspsa I've been focused on carry optics lately and for 3 gun I use my CZ 75. We also have indoor USPSA warmup matches every other Friday. So my guns get plenty of attention.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I change based on level of interest and desire, and lately have been thinking about HOA standings.  It's whatever is important to you.  For a couple years I really wanted to shoot SS, but was invested in Limited and Production and 3-Gun.  Now that I've shot SS for a few months solid, I really have no desire to switch to anything else unless I want to stomp nuts and go for HOA, for which I'd switch to Limited.

I've shot PCC a couple times, and it's great fun, but I don't think it is necessarily competitive yet.  Like Open, it depends on whose gun runs the whole match.

I mainly shoot 3-gun, but seem to struggle with this monthly.  I love shooting my pistol with rmr on it, but doing so puts me in open class, and I shoot a couple of matches a year that are limited to tac only.  So, I end up shooting open half the year and tac the other.  I could probably do better if I would commit, and focus, on one or the other.

I think it depends on what your trying to do. If you want to have fun by all means change it up, but if your trying to get better at one division you should stick with that one. 

I shot open for a year and switched to production where I've been for the last two. 

I have changed divisions a couple times. It takes a few months to really get used to a new handgun. I'm not getting better at shooting during that time, I'm just getting used to a new gun.

Why do you shoot? For fun or to improve your skills. Be honest with yourself.

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It depends what your goal is.

If you're a C-class determined to make it to A within a certain number of months? Pick a division and a gun and practice that one platform.

If your goal is to shoot what you enjoy and have fun? Switch away.

This ^ for the most part.

I have been a production and a single stack shooter since I started about 7 years ago. I only shot limited off and on for no more than maybe 2 or 3 matches at a time. This year I completely switched to limited, for most of the year, other other than single stack for a month and a half for nationals. Both are 40 so recoil is somewhat similar between the 2. 

I finished where I wanted to last year with production and now I want to try limited and see how I stack up against those guys. I haven't shot a major match yet this year but I am really excited to do so. I'm an M in all three divisions. Maybe if I stick with one long enough I'll finally get that coveted GM card, but I like to be able to shoot all 3 divisions that I want to shoot at any given match too...lol

Edited by Prov1x

I used to shoot open a lot, and was very good at it, but then it got in my head and I didn't know what to do????  After a lot of thought I started to shoot limited for 4 years, with my age and eye sight it was tough and I really enjoyed the having to focus more.  When I came back to open it was so easy to shoot I cant believe it, and right now I am really enjoying it more than ever.  I find that I cant just change most divisions and do well at the drop of a hat, I usually make the decision to shoot one or the other about a week in advance so I can practice draws and mag changes.

• 3 weeks later...

I shoot mainly 3gun with an M&P but after switching to an STI, I will be solely shooting single stack. Forces me to plan stages better for 3gun and work on my reloads as well as work on the gun handling of a 2011/1911 platform. I may dabble with the STI in limited occasionally but its doubtful.

• 2 weeks later...

I have primarily (From fall 2007 until fall of 2016) shot Revolver Division, and then added Single Stack. I enjoy both, but prefer revolver. I will probably choose which to shoot based on the competition at the match I will be going to. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2017 at 11:31 AM, Kraj said:

I think it depends on what your trying to do. If you want to have fun by all means change it up, but if your trying to get better at one division you should stick with that one. 

I shot open for a year and switched to production where I've been for the last two. 

+1 if you wanna have fun, shoot whatever gun/division you're in the mood for that week.  If you want to really improve, stick with the same gun/division.

I think I am gonna focus on open for a while.  Gonna either sell my limited gun or give it to my 7 year old who will shoot it in a few years. A Benny Hill STI 40 is a pretty nice gun for a kid to shoot tho

I started out with 3 seasons of SS.  Followed by 2 of production.  The past 3 seasons I have switched between SS, Production, CO, Limited, Open, and PCC.   A week of dry fire and a solid live fire and I am comfortable enough to shoot locals.  If a major is in my future, I will shoot that gun for at least a month.  

• 2 weeks later...

Started with Limited made mid C, but because of my weird astigmatism in one eye near sighted in the other I couldnt consistently shoot with both eyes open (my left eye would take focus even though Im right eye dominant) so I switched to open so I could keep both eyes open, made B. But shooting open feels like relearning everything, the comp sometimes makes me feel like Ill never get used to it. Not giving up on it just yet, but will prolly toy around with CO

I pretty much do the same thing as you OP.  I think if you're just starting out it's helpful to stick to one gun/division.  Once you understand the game and are subconsciously safe etc, I don't think it matters much.  The only difference is I have a G34 for PROD, G17 for CO and a G24 for LIM.  I felt that for a while it was unproductive (but fun) to shoot multiple divisions, however now I feel the high capacity divisions help me focus on moving quickly and shooting production forces me to be patient visually.  There are some good shooters locally that shoot some of the matches I go to, I'll generally shoot the division where the best shooters are and hopefully squad with them, if no PROD or LIM GMs are shooting then I'll shoot CO try to have the fastest time possible. 

I change divisions like my wife changes her mind.  I've shot a match this year in everything but revolver and Lim 10.  We do have a winter indoor monthly match that is 1 stage that I can shoot 4 times on a Sunday morning.  Sometimes I'll bring 4 guns and get results in 4 divisions.  Our normal monthly outdoor match at 2 ranges can be shot twice on the same weekend.  I generally shoot those in Prod and another division.  

My plan going forward is to shoot Limited with a second run in Open or PCC.  

Shoot a few matches with each division and pick whichever one where you have the most fun.  I ran limited for a few months then tried CO.  Before the rule change with ammo capacity I was consistently faster with CO and had more fun with it.  So i switched and now will probably starting looking at open as well.

Started with production this year but switched from a G19 to a G34 if that counts. I made a goal for this year, when I quite shoot 12 years ago I was B open, so I making B in production with my ccw gun and holster was my goal. Now that that's done it time to play a little. The rest of this year I'll be switching around and find whats fun to shoot for next seasons goal A class in ?

Edited by floater
add content