Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One Pistol for USPSA and Steel Challenge

I was contemplating the idea of getting an open gun! Although I may not compete this year I was thinking I can get an open gun and start getting familiar with it! I would like to try and find one pistol to shoot open in USPSA and also shoot steel challenge with the same pistol. Is that not a thing? I don't know much about pistols and what makes them run smoother, flatter or more reliable! Open guns seem really technical! I found a gun on the forums that came with a 38 platform and 9 platform. Would it take a lot of adjusting to shoot major in open and then switch to shoot 9 that doesn't need major power factor for steel or should I just get a 9mm platform and shoot major for uspsa and then tweak the springs for lighter loads for steel challenge? I guess I'm not really asking "can I" since technically I could go to a match with a Hi-Point and say I want to shoot open! It's more could I run one pistol and it be as simple as just changing springs to shoot two different types of shooting sports or would the balance be off? I think the only thing I've noticed in open guns and steel challenge guns where shorter slides in steel guns. Maybe I'm over thinking this! Thanks for the help!!

Edited by wTEXgunner
Accidentally submitted before I was done.

Open guns can have a reputation of being finicky, but once dialed in will run and run. Me personally, i wouldn't want to be switching up configurations on an open gun routinely. 

If you're already saying you won't be competing this year, why not get a gun you can shoot steel challenge with and have fun at the range? Then if you want an open gun you will have had a year to save up for it. 

I think with guns, the jack of all trades build is a bit of a myth because you have to lose something somewhere. Jack of all trades, master of none, or master one and jack up everyone. 

Especially with an open gun i think you will want a gun that is dedicated for that task.

53 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I shoot a TruBor, 9mm Major for Everything  ... USPSA, steel, multigun, Zombies ....    :) 

But you're also talking the exact same gun. Like unchanged. 

I may have misinterpreted, but I thought he meant like switching some components to make it work for open then switching back for steel challenge. 

My recommendation was based on a misunderstanding I think. 

19 minutes ago, wTEXgunner said:

since steel challenge doesn't require the major power factor I would change out the components to shoot softer rounds. 

My TruBor will shoot PF 145 rounds and PF 175 rounds iff the gun is very clean and well lubed.    :) 

20 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

My TruBor will shoot PF 145 rounds and PF 175 rounds iff the gun is very clean and well lubed.    :) 

A good, thorough cleaning between changing loads for different events seems a whole lot easier (and cheaper) than swapping components. 

the 'problem' between uspsa and steel challenge is that, for Limited and Open divisions in USPSA, you get rewarded for shooting major power factor ammo, while in SC, there is no reward, and minor scores the same without the recoil disadvantage.  so you can definitely use the same gun in both games, and generally just switch out recoil springs.  for example, i shoot my .40 edge with major ammo in Limited USPSA and then use minor power factor ammo and a lighter recoil spring for SC (and falling steel etc).  can do the same thing for Open though i suspect the comp might not come into play a little.  some folks, including a GM I occasionally shoot with, use the exact same everything and always shoot major power factor.  something to be said for just having one thing to get used to, not two.

I guess since USPSA matches are easier to find around here that it would be better to shoot the same gun for SC so I don't have to worry about learning two guns. Better to be good with one gun them so so with two! Is it really that much of an advantage to shoot softer ammo for open guns that shoot flat anyway??

6 hours ago, wTEXgunner said:

could I run one pistol and it be as simple as just changing springs to shoot two different types of shooting sports

Yes, some of us don't even bother doing that much. 

You won't notice the value of trying to game the finer details of a sport until you're reasonably well ingrained into it.  Just go shoot with whatever you have, when you're good enough to game an edge you'll already have a good idea how.  Shooting an open gun of any type will probably be the steeper learning curve.

2 hours ago, wTEXgunner said:

Is it really that much of an advantage to shoot softer ammo for open guns that shoot flat anyway??

Nope.  Way more influential things to worry about that slow down your score.

When you're at the top and looking to set a SC record by hundredths of a second, then yes. 

The OP certainly has a quandary, one that I share but somewhat different situation. I want to use optics on my revo for SC but that would put me in open for USPSA where I would also be scored minor so I would get creamed. So the best solution is to buy another revo, have the action worked to match the one I have now and leave it iron sight. This way I have two guns one for SC the other for USPSA but this what the OP is trying to avoid. And actually I'm not wanting to rush out and buy another gun this year and maybe not next year either because I have bought enough hardware misc stuff for the time being. 

So my solution to the problem is to use my revo in SC and use an auto loader that I have for production. But there really isn't an easy solution to the problem as presented by the OP that doesn't involve some kind of compromise. My situation is made easier though since in any case I'm not competitive and would prefer to put my efforts into steel over action shooting.