Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ceiling to case feeder space

I have not much ceiling space where I reload. I have the measurement for how much space is needed from bench top to the top of the case feeder. My question is in your experience how much space is required between the case feeder and ceiling to be able to load cases into the feeder.

On my 650 I cut the mounting tube and the case feed tube shorter to fit my work bench

the one thing to be care of is you don't cut it too short where it interferes with the powder measure

another benefit is I can now stand up and look in the case feeder instead of have to stand on a chair

25 minutes ago, rishii said:

On my 650 I cut the mounting tube and the case feed tube shorter to fit my work bench

the one thing to be care of is you don't cut it too short where it interferes with the powder measure

another benefit is I can now stand up and look in the case feeder instead of have to stand on a chair

Great advice. How much tube did you remove?

My 650 on  strong mount is about 42 inches tall with case feeder. I have about 10 inches clearance above and it's plenty of room. I have a small mirror on the ceiling about the case feeder I use to check the cases in the hopper.

It's a pretty stupid short roof. I won't bitch too much because it is a dedicated room to me.

to maintain 6" clearance as access above hopper it will leave the handle of the press at 42.5ish inches. I am assuming a bench height of 34.5 inches and press mounted directly to bench. 

My issue with with this is this is about 7 inches lower than my current rig up. ( I reload standing).

if I can trim the case feeder as others have suggested I can better maintain the proper height for the press handle. This sounds like the best option for path forward.

if I trim the unit then I will use a strong mount  instead building the bench to the proper height, unless that's a bad idea. 

Edited by bubba04

I reload standing and have my 650 on a strong mount. When I mounted my case feeder, I believe I cut 1.5" from each end of the support and 6" off the feed tube, keep an eye out, one end is  beveled, cut the OTHER end. I have maybe 4-6 inches above the press, but I have a drop ceiling in my man cave so I just have one of the ceiling tiles slid out of the way. I like to use a pretty big cut to portion out brass and dump into the feeder, so you just need to have enough room to fit whatever method you use to fill you case feeder.

42 minutes ago, EngineerEli said:

I reload standing and have my 650 on a strong mount. When I mounted my case feeder, I believe I cut 1.5" from each end of the support and 6" off the feed tube, keep an eye out, one end is  beveled, cut the OTHER end. I have maybe 4-6 inches above the press, but I have a drop ceiling in my man cave so I just have one of the ceiling tiles slid out of the way. I like to use a pretty big cut to portion out brass and dump into the feeder, so you just need to have enough room to fit whatever method you use to fill you case feeder.

From the top of your table to case feed top is great total length 36 inches?

I'll try and remember to measure tonight and post.

Sorry that took forever... Just about exactly 40" bench to ceiling. 2.5" clearance, therefore 37.5" overall height of 650 with shortened cadefeeder and 650 specific strong mount.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

On 5/1/2017 at 11:17 PM, EngineerEli said:

Sorry that took forever... Just about exactly 40" bench to ceiling. 2.5" clearance, therefore 37.5" overall height of 650 with shortened cadefeeder and 650 specific strong mount.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Thanks sir. I ended up m rearranging my space to fit press. I appreciate your feedback.