Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ap custom leaves bread crumbs

I have been using this shell holder for a year now. It works great if I load before moveing anywhere but it leaves a trail of shot shells every time I run. Does anyone have a remedy for this. 

IMG_165.jpg

IMG_166.jpg

There are 2 solutions, neither is pretty, one is easier, one is harder but works better.  I have tried bending the springs even doubling up on the springs.  The easy fix is to bend the springs in on each other - so they overlap quite a bit.  That is ugly, but it effective.  Teh second requires a bit of talent, but you can remove each spring, chuck it up in a vise and put a crease down the center, in line with the bolt hole, to at least 1/2 of the length. This will stiffen the spring rate.  This is easy to overdo, so go slow.  

On 4/22/2017 at 10:15 PM, CharlieD said:

Or...just buy the carbon arms caddies.  I've tried AP, invictus, and a couple others I can't recall, but found the carbon arms to have the best retention.

I cannot argue that, Carbon arms makes good kit, but if OP's purpose is to fix what he has, I don't think "buying new" is the best response, just only because OP didn't ask "What is the best REPLACEMENT for these AP shell carriers?"

Google should help too. I still use them and I have not trouble with retention unless I catch the shells on something in movement. You've gotten some good information already, and I wouldn't argue with Barry's adivce, but other things that you can do include removing the springs and reworking the bend/curve to be even for the length of the spring. As it was explained to me, take the little pieces of spring steel off the caddy and roll them around something round to make the spring rounded and then replace it onto the caddy. Another thing that can get you is if the springs get a little loose, they will rotate up or down enough to get out of their little recess and this will greatly decrease tension on the shells.

I spent time on the phone and in person with AP to deal with this very "issue" when I first got them because everyone made such a big deal about it. I've never had issues with mine, and I even picked up an extra QL8 at a match when a fellow competitor snatched it off his belt at the end of a stage and tossed it away. I think they offer the easiest pull/shell removal of any of the systems I have tried.

3 hours ago, sam_b said:

Doubling up the springs will help a bit if just these new springs won't. Shooters Connection sells just springs. https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/AP-Custom-Spring-Kit-P3075.aspx

I have tried doubling, but it does not really increase the tension, it mostly only increases the force required to remove the shells.  I settled on only doubling up on one side (of each pair, and the one opposite of my grab) when I was trying it.

On 4/24/2017 at 9:34 AM, wgj3 said:

Google should help too. I still use them and I have not trouble with retention unless I catch the shells on something in movement. You've gotten some good information already, and I wouldn't argue with Barry's adivce, but other things that you can do include removing the springs and reworking the bend/curve to be even for the length of the spring. As it was explained to me, take the little pieces of spring steel off the caddy and roll them around something round to make the spring rounded and then replace it onto the caddy. Another thing that can get you is if the springs get a little loose, they will rotate up or down enough to get out of their little recess and this will greatly decrease tension on the shells.

I spent time on the phone and in person with AP to deal with this very "issue" when I first got them because everyone made such a big deal about it. I've never had issues with mine, and I even picked up an extra QL8 at a match when a fellow competitor snatched it off his belt at the end of a stage and tossed it away. I think they offer the easiest pull/shell removal of any of the systems I have tried.

I got the same advice, directly from Aaron hisself at a match, but I was never able to make it work like he described.  I even chucked one up in a drill and wrapped it around a 1/4" drill rod with only marginal results.  Putting a lengthwise crease in the attachment point end of the spring was about the only "strengthening" of the spring rate I was able to make work.

As another data point, there are airsoft fakes out there on fleabae  that while they probably wouldn't fool anyone into thinking they were real, the one I got seemed to come with much stronger springs.  They were comparable in retention to the original "Conduit clip" Carbon arms clips - to the point that they take a little effort to load when already on your belt.  I havent tried it in a match so I have no idea if they are worthwhile or if they are crap

• 2 months later...

I don't know if they are still in business but I was able to find the stronger steel springs to refit and that has helped tremendously.  I love these shell holders but I found some carbon arms that work almost as easy.  You can also take the replaced spring and double up the others like I did and that works just as well...

• 5 months later...

Cut strips of grip tape and apply it between the Springs on the black portion that touches the shells.  The shells will stay in place even if your gear is upside down.

5 hours ago, DJD said:

Cut strips of grip tape and apply it between the Springs on the black portion that touches the shells.  The shells will stay in place even if your gear is upside down.

Thin rubbery type works better than gritty type...