Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked frame Witness Elite Match

Hammbone

I haven't hung out here for a while. I jumped on because I need some insight. I have had a Witness Elite Match large frame in 9mm for 3yrs. I bought it new in April 2014. Anyway, I took the grips off for the first time a couple days ago and noticed the frame is cracked where the backed portion of the mag well opening meets the back strap. It does look like a ductle fracture or fatigue. It looks like a cold joint in the casting. As anyone seen this?

I contacted EAA and sent pics. They've instructed me to send it in for evaluation. I've read some not so great things about their customer service. But I guess I'll see for myself. Perhaps I'll have a good experience. 

EAA WEM frame crack.jpg

Actually,  eaa hasy reportedly turned around on CS. Two people i know returned guns and had GOOD experiences.

I Hope you do too! 

And that looks like a manufacturing defect. They should warrant it and send you a new one.

Edited by johnbu

Thanks for the feedback guys. I hope all goes well. Now I just have to figure out how to get it shipped. I've done lots of reading. I'll probably end up driving 30 miles to a UPS Store and paying out the nose for next day shipping.

1 hour ago, Hammbone said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I hope all goes well. Now I just have to figure out how to get it shipped. I've done lots of reading. I'll probably end up driving 30 miles to a UPS Store and paying out the nose for next day shipping.

See if you can use "Ship My Gun", a sister company of Buds. It's normally $50 insured but cheaper than going at it alone.

56 minutes ago, ATLDave said:

I had a crack in a Match several years ago in a similar location.  I sent it in.  They sent me a new gun.  

Thanks for sharing. I hope I have the same experience.

I'm still messing around with getting it shipped. I found a local FFL who will help me, but he can meet with me until Friday.

45 minutes ago, himurax13 said:

I would ship via an FFL. If you ship through UPS, you will have to ship it overnight and do it from an actual UPS facility, not a UPS store.

Yep. I've come to this realization. I'm meeting up with a local FFL tomorrow.  Otherwise I have to drive 30mi to a UPS facility and their hours SUCK!  

Getting this sent is a ROYAL PIA!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, it's time for an update - I apologize for the novel.

• I got my Witness sent back to EAA.
    • I spent a week trying to figure out the best way to ship it. Thanks for everyone's support here. In the end, a local FFL gave me carbon copy of his license to take to the US Post Office. I didn't have any issues. $20 to ship Priority Mail + $14 insurance.
    • I sent it on a Saturday morning, EAA received it Monday.
  • Wednesday I sent an email to EAA Customer Service to confirm they received it.
  • EAA promptly responded to my email and said that they had indeed received it and determined that they would be replacing the gun.
    • HOWEVER, they don't currently have any 9mm's in stock, so I have to wait for a shipment from Tanfoglio.

Now my wheels start turning. I proceed to get hung-up in a endless do-loop of "what if" questions.

• It's cost me $35 to ship it.  Per their warranty verbiage in the manual, I'm supposed to pay return shipment (another $35). Plus, now that it's a new gun with a new unique SN, I'll have to pay the FFL to transfer it back to my name (another $25).  Wait a MINUTE!  I was going through live with no issues and all of the sudden this how deal is going to cost me over $100.  That doesn't seem right.
  • What if the new one has the same issue? I'm going to get stuck in a loop of paying $100 repeatedly until it gets made right.  How much is this going to cost? How long will this whole process take?
  • I called EAA CS (the gal I spoke with on the phone was VERY nice and professional).  I explain that I work in manufacturing and that there's a casting defect. I have a level of uncertainty regarding the foundery's process control capabilities. I have no level of confidence that the next one won't have the same problem, or worse, the problem could be an inclusion or porosity in a high stress area that is not detectable until the frame fails. I proceed to just ask for my money back. (BTW - has anyone checked their pricing in the last 6-8mo? HOLY CRAP!  My $600 gun is now a $1,000 gun new).  The CS gal did not say "no". She said that she understood my perspective, but there policy is to repair or replace. In my case it was replace. I would have to speak with the CS Manager to do anything else. 
    • So I asked to speak with him. He's busy and has to call me back.
  • He calls me back within the hour.  I felt like he was on edge ready for me to start a fight. But I didn't. I was polite and cordial - as was he. (I'm sure in a CS role, you get to deal with a$$holes all day long - I didn't want to be "that" guy).
    • I reiterate all of my points to the CS Manager. He understands but can't make it happen. I'm going to get the gun replaced and that's that, but I have to wait for the shipment to come in. He did say that he'd make it write with the cost of return shipping and FFL transfer.  How this will happen is yet to be determined.

So that's my CS experience thus far. Pretty good. I'm not getting my money back like I asked, but I still feel like they're trying to do their best to make things right.  That's fair.

Ok, they are (it sounds like) paying return ship and Ffl fee.  you could probably push and get your ship $ refunded.  or... ask for a couple mags or some such.  don't borrow trouble, the model is a great gun. But... you could ask about "upgrade" cost to a limited or similar.  would cost more, but a better platform.   just options.

Your defect is the first one I've seen here.  so, while bad... it looks uncommon. My Match is trouble free. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2017 at 7:50 PM, johnbu said:

Ok, they are (it sounds like) paying return ship and Ffl fee.  you could probably push and get your ship $ refunded.  or... ask for a couple mags or some such.  don't borrow trouble, the model is a great gun. But... you could ask about "upgrade" cost to a limited or similar.  would cost more, but a better platform.   just options.

Your defect is the first one I've seen here.  so, while bad... it looks uncommon. My Match is trouble free. 

Yeah. It sounds like I'm going to have a deal very close to that. 

I'm still waiting for a boat to show up from Italy...

I've been doing a lot of thinking; I've tried to figure out ways to get rid of the Match when it shows up. In conjunction, I'm looking at CZ Custom and CGW models. I've really been turned off by the lack of aftermarket part options and holsters for the Match. But, I've finally turned full circle and decided to keep the Match when it shows up. Because you guys are right. It IS a great gun! And it treated very well. I even won a centerfire bullseyr competition with it at my local club.  When it gets back, I think I'll install a Henning flat trigger.

...I may also look at an Accu Shadow, Shadow 2, or Tanfoglio Stock2 (possibly Xtreme) to add to the collection. Any insight here would be welcome. 

• 2 years later...

I'm interested in an EAA Tangfolio Witness in .40 s&w. I was told the problems have been resolved. It's a 2017 manufacture. From what I've read these are older weapons, or is the problem still ongoing. sounds like they're having problems in the molding process. Maybe pouring a too cool molten metal. Possibly the mold is too thin in certain areas. I may just buy a new Tristar in 9mm. Prefer the .40. I Also prefer steel frames. if you can update me on this problem I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Edited by Rigidman

I have a 2016 version of the 40S&W Match with a little over 1,000 rounds of 40S&W through it and no issues.  I've also shot about 200 rounds of 10mm full power loads (700+ ftlbs of energy) out of that pistol requiring only a barrel and recoil spring change.   Now that is a kick to shoot.  No issues at all so far so I'm also hoping the problem was rare or, if not, are at least fixed.  This is a great pistol and probably my favorite. 

15 hours ago, Rigidman said:

I'm interested in an EAA Tangfolio Witness in .40 s&w. I was told the problems have been resolved. It's a 2017 manufacture. From what I've read these are older weapons, or is the problem still ongoing. sounds like they're having problems in the molding process. Maybe pouring a too cool molten metal. Possibly the mold is too thin in certain areas. I may just buy a new Tristar in 9mm. Prefer the .40. I Also prefer steel frames. if you can update me on this problem I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about this issue at all.  As I wrote above, I did have a Match (in 10mm) that cracked at this spot... which made no difference to how it shot.  Once I finally noticed it, I sent it in and EAA sent me a new gun.  I've put a lot of rounds through the replacement (again, in 10mm), including a lot considerably hotter than any .40 load.