Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help needed! 2011 Guide Rod Assembly and Barrel Stuck in Slide

mushroom09

Hello Benoverse,

I have just recently purchased my first 2011 and fired it for the first time today. After attempting to disassemble it for the first time I removed the slide and was in the process of figuring out the guide rod assembly when something went wrong. I pushed the guide rod assembly towards the front of the slide and it just stuck. The guide rod assembly is stuck forwards and the barrel is tilted out of battery slightly. It's stuck quite tightly and I cannot figure out how to loosen it so that I can remove the guid rod assembly. It's quite possible that I'm just not applying force in the right area since I don't want to break anything. I am new to 2011's and not a 1911 aficionado. It is an STI lower with an SVI upper. Pics attached for clarity, all help is very much appreciated. 

IMG_4040-1.JPG

IMG_4041-1.JPG

IMG_4042-1.JPG

Looks to me like the gr is caught against the comp stopping it moving back. 

If you can:

try and push the barrel back down into the slide. You may have to push the guiderod forward a little as you do it. 

Once the barrel is back in the slide properly the guide rod should be free. 

Then an you can stick a paperc lip in the hole in the gr then remove the gr. remove the reverse plug. Then pull the barrel out through the front of the slide. 

Youre not the first to get stuck!

Thank you! Used a mallet to gently knock the barrel bit by bit back into the proper place and that freed the guide rod assembly. Turned out it's a 2 piece and I just didn't look carefully enough to see it needed to be unscrewed. Appreciate the help very much!