Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 cylinder reaming/honing question

OK, I have a question for you guys that have much more knowledge then I do. Since I got my 929 back from the factory having had the crane detent ball installed as it was missing. I've been playing with loads. What I've noticed is that it's trying very hard to shoot great. I'm getting one or two fliers consistently with most bullet/powder combinations. I am shooting off bags at 50 ft and can generally shoot one inch or less with my 38 super and 357/38 special revolvers at 25 yds and sometimes 50 yds off the bench. My question is I have a cylinder reamer which I have used with the other revolvers. Can I use a reamer on the titanium cylinder? People have talked about honing the cylinder. How is this process different than reaming? Bullets I have tried are 115&125 zeros, 124/135 acme, 135 bayou's both. 356 &.358, 147 extreme, 160 b&b .356. The powders I've played with so far are vv320, titegroup, aa#7. As that's what I have on hand. Here's some pic's of the last targets from last night. Most groups hovering around 1.5 and 2.5 inches. I could call it good but like to tax as much accuracy as I can. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The black square is one inch the outside square is two. Oh and using Winchester brass.

These are all 8 shot groups

389fb805b4ae296f2da820fd32327e6e.jpgd24a88ebdb3fd5d5e7665a592c9f4a55.jpg885644416d8f33ac98cc987e310e7b6b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

+1. Looks like some chambers may be off a little. Usually you will get tighter groups as you go over 1100 fps with the lighter bullet weights,125 and under. Do not try to ream the chambers. You will trash the reamer due to the coating on the titanium. BTDT. Honing is using an abrasive like a flex hone.

Edited by Toolguy

My 929 shoots the same way. A one hole group of 5, with 3 on the outer edge. At 25 yards its under 2"s, so its good to go.

On mine, I feel the throats in the cylinder are not perfect, causing the problem.

Mine originally was shooting 4" groups at 25 yards with the same bullet pattern. 5 close and 3 fliers. A crown cut and forcing cone cut brought the group size down dramatically, but still has the 5 in tight and 3 just outside. But with a total group size under 2" at 25 yards, I'm happy.

Can't hurt, might help. I do that to any new to me gun. Then I know it will shoot as well as it's going to. I have seen crowns and forcing cones all over the map from the factory. The worse they start out, the more good it does to recut.